New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Mac first day


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
witeshark

 
witeshark's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 2,860
witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

witeshark is offline
Here's an idea my bro gave me. First thing anyone should do before anything is to reinstall from the CD just like a major crash recovery. Why? Cause the hard drives are burned at the factory so fast that the original install my be less reliable then a reinstall off your CDs. And there is no new data to lose yet downloaded to the hard drive = nothing to lose! We did this on all our Macs. I didn't bother on my last PC cause I knew the first crash was just a little farther down the road :rolleyes: Its just an idea, but I recommend it highly! :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Well. I haven't had any problems, and at this point after three months or so...with all the updated software, it just wouldn't be worth it without due cause. But I'll keep it in mind for future happenings.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

 
Osiris22x's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 25, 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 475
Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Osiris22x is offline
This is incorrect. Hard drives can only be written to so fast...and that speed is the same speed that you use it at everyday. Also, hard drives are not "burned" like CDs. They are merely written to. The idea that the factory install is any less reliable, is simply unfeasable. Lastly...even if this WERE true, computer manufactures install the OS from the CD-Rom drive, just like you and I.

Osiris


Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Here's an idea my bro gave me. First thing anyone should do before anything is to reinstall from the CD just like a major crash recovery. Why? Cause the hard drives are burned at the factory so fast that the original install my be less reliable then a reinstall off your CDs. And there is no new data to lose yet downloaded to the hard drive = nothing to lose! We did this on all our Macs. I didn't bother on my last PC cause I knew the first crash was just a little farther down the road :rolleyes: Its just an idea, but I recommend it highly! :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
rman

 
rman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 12,591
rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

rman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
This is incorrect. Hard drives can only be written to so fast...and that speed is the same speed that you use it at everyday. Also, hard drives are not "burned" like CDs. They are merely written to. The idea that the factory install is any less reliable, is simply unfeasable. Lastly...even if this WERE true, computer manufactures install the OS from the CD-Rom drive, just like you and I.

Osiris

i don't think they load from CDs. The fastest way is to load the first system by CD and the other system by doing a disk copy. Basically just making a clone of the original disk.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Apple ships the machine to you a certain way for a reason - because it's JUST FINE the way they ship it out. If reinstalling the OS straight out of the box was useful, they would do it at the factory.
Now, a used Mac is a different story....
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

 
witeshark's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 2,860
witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

witeshark is offline
Okay, I can agree with that. The reason we did this is because at my bros last job him and all the ITs were told to do so for the reasons I first posted. I'm sure you're right the Apple is fine right out of the box, but I guess we saw no harm in it as there was no new files to lose and it seemed like a good precaution.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

 
rman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 12,591
rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

rman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Okay, I can agree with that. The reason we did this is because at my bros last job him and all the ITs were told to do so for the reasons I first posted. I'm sure you're right the Apple is fine right out of the box, but I guess we saw no harm in it as there was no new files to lose and it seemed like a good precaution.
I can see why your brother last job did it that way. That is one was of guaranteeing that all of the systems were built the same. I would do the same thing, in order to sure every machine has my standard load.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

 
Osiris22x's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 25, 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 475
Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Osiris22x is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
i don't think they load from CDs. The fastest way is to load the first system by CD and the other system by doing a disk copy. Basically just making a clone of the original disk.
I used to work for Dell, and they did it from the CD drive because this allowed them to test the entire system at once. After the OS was installed, they would run the diagnostics on the CD. Compaq, Sony, HP...they all do this. I would assume Apple does as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Students | System Maintenance »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
iPod for Windows and Mac? MacAddikt iPod Hardware and Accessories 12 03-31-2007 09:33 AM
pc to mac.. now back to pc.. my g5 1.6 biggest headache! dankim723 Apple Desktops 25 05-14-2005 11:05 AM
Your Mac Life tonight... schweb Schweb's Lounge 0 03-26-2003 12:21 PM
Mac Users Get More ISP Choices schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 1 03-06-2003 10:57 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?