New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Mac first day

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Here's an idea my bro gave me. First thing anyone should do before anything is to reinstall from the CD just like a major crash recovery. Why? Cause the hard drives are burned at the factory so fast that the original install my be less reliable then a reinstall off your CDs. And there is no new data to lose yet downloaded to the hard drive = nothing to lose! We did this on all our Macs. I didn't bother on my last PC cause I knew the first crash was just a little farther down the road :rolleyes: Its just an idea, but I recommend it highly! :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Well. I haven't had any problems, and at this point after three months or so...with all the updated software, it just wouldn't be worth it without due cause. But I'll keep it in mind for future happenings.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

This is incorrect. Hard drives can only be written to so fast...and that speed is the same speed that you use it at everyday. Also, hard drives are not "burned" like CDs. They are merely written to. The idea that the factory install is any less reliable, is simply unfeasable. Lastly...even if this WERE true, computer manufactures install the OS from the CD-Rom drive, just like you and I.

Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Here's an idea my bro gave me. First thing anyone should do before anything is to reinstall from the CD just like a major crash recovery. Why? Cause the hard drives are burned at the factory so fast that the original install my be less reliable then a reinstall off your CDs. And there is no new data to lose yet downloaded to the hard drive = nothing to lose! We did this on all our Macs. I didn't bother on my last PC cause I knew the first crash was just a little farther down the road :rolleyes: Its just an idea, but I recommend it highly! :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
This is incorrect. Hard drives can only be written to so fast...and that speed is the same speed that you use it at everyday. Also, hard drives are not "burned" like CDs. They are merely written to. The idea that the factory install is any less reliable, is simply unfeasable. Lastly...even if this WERE true, computer manufactures install the OS from the CD-Rom drive, just like you and I.

Osiris

i don't think they load from CDs. The fastest way is to load the first system by CD and the other system by doing a disk copy. Basically just making a clone of the original disk.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Apple ships the machine to you a certain way for a reason - because it's JUST FINE the way they ship it out. If reinstalling the OS straight out of the box was useful, they would do it at the factory.
Now, a used Mac is a different story....
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Okay, I can agree with that. The reason we did this is because at my bros last job him and all the ITs were told to do so for the reasons I first posted. I'm sure you're right the Apple is fine right out of the box, but I guess we saw no harm in it as there was no new files to lose and it seemed like a good precaution.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Okay, I can agree with that. The reason we did this is because at my bros last job him and all the ITs were told to do so for the reasons I first posted. I'm sure you're right the Apple is fine right out of the box, but I guess we saw no harm in it as there was no new files to lose and it seemed like a good precaution.
I can see why your brother last job did it that way. That is one was of guaranteeing that all of the systems were built the same. I would do the same thing, in order to sure every machine has my standard load.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
i don't think they load from CDs. The fastest way is to load the first system by CD and the other system by doing a disk copy. Basically just making a clone of the original disk.
I used to work for Dell, and they did it from the CD drive because this allowed them to test the entire system at once. After the OS was installed, they would run the diagnostics on the CD. Compaq, Sony, HP...they all do this. I would assume Apple does as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Students | System Maintenance »