New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Adding to Dock

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LostDog4

LostDog4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS X 10.4.8

I'm allowed to ask this as i'm only six days old in the macworld :-p

I have Adium installed....all good. The icon for launching the application currently resides in 'Applications'.

I would like to add this to the dock so i can start it from there. If i click and drag the icon from 'applications' to the dock, it moves Adium instead of copying it. Is this how you're meant to add items to the dock to start them quicker? I only ask because if i then click on that item and 'remove from dock', where will i be able to launch Adium from as it wont exist anywhere then!

Can someone please clarify this for me, thanks guys =)

Ben.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonnyfive

Jonnyfive has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD

That's how you do it. Just drag it from apps to your dock.

White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 iMac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD|Combo Drive http://jonnyfive.tumblr.com/
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Dragging the Icon from Applications to the Dock, only leaves a Shortcut in the dock... Once the icon is in the dock, go back into your applications folder and it will still be there as well.

Dragging the Icon out of the dock to POOF on the desktop, just removes the icon from the dock.. it will still be in your applications folder.

Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
LostDog4

LostDog4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS X 10.4.8

so it does!

Thanks guys, =)
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Also, what you can do, is run the app via your Applications folder or Spotlight it. Once the app opens, an icon for it will appear in the dock. You can either click and hold yourleft, or right click on the icon and choose "Keep in Dock." Like-wise for removing the icon as well.

The easiest way, however, is drag/drop.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« quicktime help | removing application »