New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Making The Mac Talk Via Terminal

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

arai_speed

arai_speed is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Hi everyone, is there a way to make the Mac talk via the terminal window? (command prompt).

I know how to make it talk from the System Preference but can I do it via the prompt? :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

G'day arai speed,

I'm interested to know what this would be useful for?
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

$ say what you want it to say

It'll do it in whatever voice is selected.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
G'day arai speed,

Well, I use a lot of command line utilties, some of which take awhile to complete. Okay, maybe not so much now with faster macs, but I could write a script that encodes a bunch of .aiff files to .mp3. At the end of the script I could put in

/usr/bin/say your files have been encoded, by your command

Then I would know it was done, and it would be like a cylon told me!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Way over my expertise/comfort zone, but certainly kewl:bushman:
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

That is too cool! I come from a Linux background and I thought I knew my way around the command line but this is a great new command I had no idea even existed! Too cool. Thanks!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
arai_speed

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
$ say what you want it to say

It'll do it in whatever voice is selected.
U da man! Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
arai_speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
G'day arai speed,

I want to use it to play a prank on a co-worker
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I have the following line in my crontab to remind me it is getting late on a work nite. It sets the volume so it isn't too loud and selects a prefered voice.
osascript -e "set Volume 4" -e 'say "Its 11 PM." using "Victoria"'
To select the voice on the command line do this;
say -v "Agnes" "Its 11 PM."
The voices in Leopard are suppose to be way better than 10.4.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Hey I just did that xstep ... I'll probably forget it next time I try to impress someone with a terminal trick ....
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

I just tried this and it turns out that the quotes aren't needed. For example, I can just type:

say -v Agnes Hi There Sailor

and it works.

Is there some place to get a listing of the available voices? From the above we see Agnes and Victoria - how many more are available?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Is there some place to get a listing of the available voices? From the above we see Agnes and Victoria - how many more are available?
System Preferences->Speech->Text to Speech and the list is in a drop down menu.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Thanks Amen-Moses. Much appreciated!

QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

That's cool.
QUOTE Thanks
egandolfi

egandolfi will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD

I noticed when you don't use the quotes that it says the statement then repeat the entire thing with "say -v Agnes Its 11pm"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where the heck is the DVD Player? | Fingerprint Scanner for OSx »