New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Will The MacPro (Desktop) with Xeon Intel Run Windows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yada.x2

yada.x2 is an unknown at this point

Hi all, great forum to find. I've been looking at Macs in town here in Victoria, BC, Canada. I don't like the fact that there is no upgrading of hardrive space in the Imac so I'm thinking of going all out and buying a Mac Pro Desktop. I have huge Video and music collections on 2 500gig SataII drives and I think I'd like to go with installing them internally (as apposed to using USB/Firewire external expansion) The Mac Pro comes with Intel Xeon Processors. I am unfamiliar with the Intel Xeon processors. So my question is:
Can all intel-based Macs (incl the Intel Xeon Macs) run bootcamp and/or Parallels so that I can boot into Windows when I need to.
Thanx in advance.

Yada Yada (aka Yada.X2)
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Yes. .
QUOTE Thanks
yada.x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
Yes. .

Do you own a Mac Pro (a desktop model not a MacBook Pro) ?

I went to apple.com and on all the other Macs, the specs say that it can run windows. However when you go to the Pro tab and look at the info for the Mac Pro Desktop, it doesn't even mention Windows anywhere, hense my worry about laying down $3000 and then finding out that it doesn't boot to windows. So Im just looking for a confirmation either from apple or other authoritative website or a current owner of one to confirm that it does.

Thanks again to all who contribute their knowledge to noobies.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

It doesn't talk about Windows in the info because:

1. the Mac Pro doesn't come with it, you have to get it yourself

2. Windows is a competitor, right?

3. It would be a huge mistake if you only bought a Mac so you could run Windows. If this is what you want to do, buy your self a PC is the best advice we could give you. Windows will run but it is the better option to run it as a second OS not the MAIN, PRIMARY OS.
QUOTE Thanks
yada.x2

[QUOTE=MacHeadCase;325352]

As a first time poster to this forum, thanks for the immediate first negative put-down experience. Your a real smart-butt. You still didn't answer my question, so your whole post was a waste of space.

You gotta be kidding! Ya man, I know that duh! and so do most people who ask questions about running Windows. As I said all the rest of the ads for the other models mention that you can run windows, but it specifically doesnt mention it on this model, so I was concerned.

I don't recall asking for advise on the use of Windows on a Mac! I asked for an answer to my ACTUAL question about the Xeon processor on a Mac Pro (whci of course you didn't answer at all).This statement is getting old. I've seen it said to other posters who are merely enquiring about the prospects of running Windows for whatever reason.

The *huge mistake* here is yours by assuming that everybody who merely asks this question is going to make Windows their primary OS. I never said that. I merely said I wanted to have the ability to dual boot. Don't treat posters like idiots please. Of course I know that buying a PC for primary Windows use is a no-brainer (and much cheaper too!) Besides, I already own a perfectly good PC.

I'm not trying to keep a flame going. I just was miffed at your biased assumptions and advise when it wasn't asked for.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I think you're extrapolating way beyond anything I posted. Biased? Really...

And the huge mistake is something we see every day on this forum: people buy Macs so they can run mostly Windows on it.

Anyway the answer was given. Twice. Todd and I both replied.
QUOTE Thanks
pbMac

pbMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33GHz 2Gb

you have to take nto consideration that some if not a majority of mac users are a bit.....fanatical.
QUOTE Thanks
yada.x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbMac View Post
you have to take nto consideration that some if not a majority of mac users are a bit.....fanatical.

LOL, ya that's evident as I've been lurking around at some of the other posts.

Actually I'm looking to join the cult myself, might even become a true believer, but I still need windows for a few things and don't really wanna have 2 separate computers on my cramped desk, which is why I'm looking into the dual-boot or Parallels thing. :dive:
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Any of the Intel macs can run windows.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
pbMac

pbMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33GHz 2Gb

then go with bootcamp if you dont mind rebooting(windows will run faster)
QUOTE Thanks
yada.x2

Ya thats probably what I will do initially when I get the Mac in my hot little hands, but I might also try out the Parallels and see how slow it goes. Some say it works really well with little slow-down--I think thats bloody amazing!
QUOTE Thanks
yada.x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchR View Post
Any of the Intel macs can run windows.
Thanks Stretchr!
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by yada.x2 View Post

As a first time poster to this forum, thanks for the immediate first negative put-down experience. Your a real smart-butt. You still didn't answer my question, so your whole post was a waste of space.
Then don't buy a Mac. Seriously. What do I care?

We answered your question, you said "are you sure?" Then when someone explained why yes, we are sure and here are the reasons you asked for ... you attacked her.

Quote:
I don't recall asking for advise on the use of Windows on a Mac! I asked for an answer to my ACTUAL question about the Xeon processor on a Mac Pro (whci of course you didn't answer at all).
I did, and you immediately questioned it. Are you trolling or are you really that snotty?

Quote:
This statement is getting old. I've seen it said to other posters who are merely enquiring about the prospects of running Windows for whatever reason.
I run both Parallels and Boot Camp on my system, so I have Win XP SP2 installed twice and have used both ways quite a bit. Which is why I thought to answer your question. My mistake.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You're telling MacHeadCase not to treat posters like idiots, and yet you come in here on your high horse and belittle her contribution to your obviously asinine question.

If you did a little research on Apple's site or the Parallels website, you would have realized that all Intel Macs can run Boot Camp and Parallels. Xeon is just the server line of processors Intel makes whereas the Core brand is the consumer line. See anything similar? Oh yes, they're both made by Intel!!!!

You're more likely to get help if you're not a prick about the answers you receive. If somebody isn't answering your question, don't berate that person for it. Either clarify your question or simply state that your question wasn't answered.

Oh, and btw, before you go and cross me off as some Mac fanatic, I just got my Mac two months ago and have been using PCs all my life. So this "advice" is coming from a person who isn't a nutjob.
QUOTE Thanks
yada.x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
Then don't buy a Mac. Seriously. What do I care?

We answered your question, you said "are you sure?" Then when someone explained why yes, we are sure and here are the reasons you asked for ... you attacked her.

I did, and you immediately questioned it. Are you trolling or are you really that snotty?

I run both Parallels and Boot Camp on my system, so I have Win XP SP2 installed twice and have used both ways quite a bit. Which is why I thought to answer your question. My mistake.
Todd, there was no offense to you intented at all. But why not question an answer? What's wrong with getting more than one input? It's not that I didn't believe you in general, its just that I did do research on the apple website and found it strange that the Mac Pro info was the only one that didn't mention it could run Windows. So I wanted to make absolutely sure that the answers I got were from people who either owned one or had some place they got info on the Xeon's. I did post another question for you to clarify the basis of your knowledge, but you didn't answer it. Surely you yourself would not blindly believe a simple "yes" answer with no explanation or mention of Xeon or MacPro in it and then shell out $3000 without corroborating data would you? A simple yes with no explanation was just not enough to allay my fears. But I do appreciate getting responses nontheless.

The "someone" you said explained it to me, I assume you mean MacHeadCase?
I didn't take that to be a real answer and I took it as a put-down. It isn't a "competition" issue that made for that specific information not appearing on the MacPro page, Apple has clearly advertised that the new Intel Macs can run windows. Perhaps it was a mere oversight on the webpage though. My problem was that I don't have knowledge about the model processor "Xeon" I was thinking maybe it was a PowerPC chip or unable to do windows for some other reason. So the info I was looking for was specific to the Mac Pro Desktop and/or Xeon. I certainly didn't need to be told that I had buy Windows and not to buy the Mac unless...

I thought the response was irrelavent and to use your word "snotty." And yet you now accuse me of being "snotty." I surely didn't mean to come off that way. I just was a little miffed because I thought "she" was putting me down for asking the question. You know it would be nice since this is a switchers forum if people would be a little nicer to the noobs like me and not be put down for our questions.

Anyhow it seems that this boils down to miscommunication and assumptions including from myself. I am sorry to have started ill feelings here. So SORRY man. Also I have apologized to MacHeadCase as well. I will tred lighter on these forums in the future.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Financial Software for UK | Clearing temp, cache, for safari »