New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buy now or wait for 10.5


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Redleg91

 
Member Since: Feb 07, 2007
Posts: 2
Redleg91 is on a distinguished road

Redleg91 is offline
I'm looking to switch from Windows to a MacBookPro. I was in the store yesterday asking questions about whether to buy now or wait until the new OS is out. Any suggestions? Do I buy now and upgrade or should I just wait the few months. With Windows I would have to wait 6-9 months after release. Are there any of these same "bug" issues with OS X? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

:bushman:
QUOTE Thanks
Pigchops

 
Member Since: Feb 01, 2007
Posts: 41
Pigchops is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" CD iMac and black C2D MacBook

Pigchops is offline
Welcome to the forum! I only joined recently but they're a friendly bunch!

The responses posted to my thread might help you:

Tiger now or wait for Leopard?

HTH
QUOTE Thanks
egandolfi

 
Member Since: Jan 19, 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 130
egandolfi will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD

egandolfi is offline
Welcome Redleg91! I am a recent switcher. I have had my MBP for about 2 weeks. I love it! If I was in your position, I would buy it now. From what I understand, Apple OS upgrades don't cost the dough that Windows upgrades do.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

 
KoDorSean's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 03, 2006
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 2,374
KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

KoDorSean is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg91 View Post
I'm looking to switch from Windows to a MacBookPro. I was in the store yesterday asking questions about whether to buy now or wait until the new OS is out. Any suggestions? Do I buy now and upgrade or should I just wait the few months. With Windows I would have to wait 6-9 months after release. Are there any of these same "bug" issues with OS X? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

:bushman:
there is a good chance the leopard upgrade will be around $130.. in my opinion mac os upgrades are cheap and there is no reason to wait.


I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,562
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
When it comes to technology, if you wait for whatever is coming on the horizon, you'll be waiting forever. There are always new technologies, both hardware and software, waiting right around the bend.

Is there a particular feature in Leopard that directly effect your reason for wanting to switch? If not, then there's no need to wait. Keep in mind that it usually takes a few months to shake out some of the bugs in a new OS version. So, if you choose to wait, it could be some time before you'll have a good, stable Mac.

With that said, I say buy it now.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonnyfive

 
Jonnyfive's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 02, 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 328
Jonnyfive has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD

Jonnyfive is offline
I was told by a fellow mac user at my school that when 10.4 came out that everyone who had purchased a mac up to 3 months before it's release were able to get a free update from 10.3 to 10.4.
I am not sure if this is true, but if it is that would be pretty sweet and solve your problems.

White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 iMac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD|Combo Drive http://jonnyfive.tumblr.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Redleg91

 
Member Since: Feb 07, 2007
Posts: 2
Redleg91 is on a distinguished road

Redleg91 is offline
Thanks to all for your feedback! I'll probably go ahead and purchase now and upgrade in the Fall after the bugs have been worked out. And it would be sweet to get a free upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Video with the built in webcam? | Can you copy dvds on a macbook? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Buy backup software or wait for Time Machine? ripfrankwhite OS X - Apps and Games 4 10-25-2006 01:43 AM
The Extras: To buy or not to buy lakermace Switcher Hangout 3 09-14-2006 02:24 PM
Intel Mac - buy now or wait Wedge Switcher Hangout 16 05-20-2006 11:24 PM
To buy or wait [iMac Intel] goobimama Switcher Hangout 8 05-09-2006 10:42 AM
Anyone want to help me make a decision on when to buy a new PB/IB? JBarbier Schweb's Lounge 2 12-27-2005 07:19 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?