New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Contemplating Switch: Developer Info

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DotMatrixGamer

DotMatrixGamer is on a distinguished road

Hello, I had a previous topic about using Office on a Mac. Thank you for all of your help. I have a couple more questions about a few different aspects of Mac. I placed them in two separate topics as it seemed most appropriate since the subjects are so different. I hope this is not considered spamming.

Anyhow . . . I am wondering about development and programming on the Mac. I know that Microsoft has a line of Visual Basic Express editions that are free to download and includes C, C++, J#, etc. Does Mac has any sort of free developer tools that I could take advantage of? If so, what are those developer tools called.

Please keep in mind that I have not actually programming anything much more complicated than a few converter programs in C++. For instance, I have made a celcius to farenheit converter. Nothing complicated at all. I am definately a beginner, so some technical jargon may go over my head.

Additionally, what are some resources that would be good for me to read as a beginner. This can be in the form of HTML, PDF, or actual books that I would buy at Barnes & Noble. Ideally, I would like to learn programming for making video games. I know that is going to be in the distant future, so where should I begin.

Thanks for all of your help on the previous topic. I appreciate all of your helpfulness and tact. Thanks :-)
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

OS X comes with X Code, Apple's developer tools. It isn't installed by default, but you just pop in the DVD and install it.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/xcode/
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Here are some of the best developer tools.
QUOTE Thanks
Bwebb

Bwebb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP C2D 1G 15"

http://www.wesnoth.org/

If you are interested in eventually programing for games you might find this an interesting site. Read the project link.

You may be able to get some advice about learning resources as well.

Good luck

Dec 06 :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
arai_speed

arai_speed is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

A port of all Unix apps for Darwin/OSX:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to handle .iso CD images and ,cue files? | Mac or Universal binaries? Explanation needed! »