New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Review: Verizon Wireless v640 Express EVDO Card

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DeathtoToasters

DeathtoToasters has a spectacular aura about

I don't seem to see too many reviews on this site. I have to say for a group of people that want to turn people to their cause you sure make it hard :bushman:

Anyway. I just received my Verizon Wireless v640 EVDO card from a guy off of eBay ($185 delivered)

Anyway I just activated it and did three test from the nearest location (Los Angelenos)

Anyway, here are the results: ( I did them from speakeasy)

Not bad

So I recommend it.

It gets... 5 Burnt pieces of toasts! Top Honors.

FYI: I want to give it 4 Burnt pieces but I cannot fault the equipment for the price of the service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 4.jpg (11.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 5.jpg (11.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 6.jpg (11.1 KB, 3 views)

"Death to Toasters" - John Connor

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"The Heavens will run red with Blood, but in the End, As Always, Thanos will Stand Triumphant!" - Thanos
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

sweet, i was under the impression that no mac could run these as they did not have supported drivers at all...what machine are you using this on? and are you using supported drivers or odd 3rd party ones?
QUOTE Thanks
EVDO INFO

EVDO INFO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook AL G4 15", MacBook Pro 15", Dual G4 1.25, Wallstreet 292, Cube DualG4 1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye23412 View Post
sweet, i was under the impression that no mac could run these as they did not have supported drivers at all...what machine are you using this on? and are you using supported drivers or odd 3rd party ones?
We've sold and supported the V640 for MacBook Pro's for months now. Our price is $80 less than verizon store has them for. The v640 can actually run with Apple drivers built into OSX 10.4.7 and most have found the built in drivers to be faster than the VZAccess Manager that verizon ships out with each V640. Check out this forum thread:

Mac OS X 10.4.7 vs. VZAccess, Speed Comparisons

For the best EVDO deals, hook up with the Mac/EVDO Experts at EVDOinfo.com
If you have EVDO questions, find us on iChat as BoosterAntenna
QUOTE Thanks
EVDO INFO

EVDO INFO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook AL G4 15", MacBook Pro 15", Dual G4 1.25, Wallstreet 292, Cube DualG4 1.4

The V640 is a Rev-0 device. That means it can only take advantage of 1st generation EVDO speeds, much like deathtotoasters speeds reported above.

But Verizon has already rolled out the 2nd generation "Rev-A" network in some cities, which provides for faster speeds than are possible on Rev-0. For an idea of where Verizon's Rev-A can be found, and the incredible speeds being reported (like 2000+ kbps downloads!) check out our new google mashup at http://EVDOmaps.com

Rev-0 devices like the V640 are not upgradeable to Rev-A, because they need an entirely different chipset. There will be a Rev-A expresscard for MacBook Pro's but it may be a few more weeks yet.

That said, we are taking backorders on Verizon's new Rev-A USB720 which will work with any Mac running OSX 10.3.9 and above, and has an available USB port.

For the best EVDO deals, hook up with the Mac/EVDO Experts at EVDOinfo.com
If you have EVDO questions, find us on iChat as BoosterAntenna
QUOTE Thanks
DeathtoToasters

DeathtoToasters has a spectacular aura about

I noticed that the mbp found and had drivers installed.

When it comes to the phone number settings, since i purchased it used it has the persons info in it. Do i just change it to mine?

Glad you chimed in.

"Death to Toasters" - John Connor

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"The Heavens will run red with Blood, but in the End, As Always, Thanos will Stand Triumphant!" - Thanos
QUOTE Thanks
OC Lakerfan

OC Lakerfan is on a distinguished road

Good info. Now I wish the monthly costs were cheaper. Maybe in about a year.
QUOTE Thanks
egandolfi

egandolfi will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD

I just ordered the USB720. I am juiced up!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I might consider this when I get my MB later in the year.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Change Widget on Dock | Lose internet »