New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What is apple loops??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Justin

Justin is an unknown at this point

Even though I am only conciously using about 50 gig of my hard drive, 75 of 80 gig is full already! So I am trying to check what is taking the space. I found under "Library" a folder called "Audio", and under that a folder called "Apple loops", which is taking up 2.49GB! Is it important? Can I just delete it, will no ill effect?
And if there is anything else which the system comes with that you think I can delete (to create space) please do tell!
Thanks very much
Justin

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

If you have GarageBand, this is where all the audio loops are stored used to make songs in GarageBand. You might consider uninstalling GB for the time being if you don't use it. You do have a CD, anyway, don't you.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
If you have GarageBand, this is where all the audio loops are stored used to make songs in GarageBand. You might consider uninstalling GB for the time being if you don't use it. You do have a CD, anyway, don't you.
Great, thanks. Is there any other stuff you reckon I can uninstall too? And any tips on uninstalling things, for example this GarageBand? Do I just drag the icon into the trash?
Thank very much
Justin

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Great, thanks. Is there any other stuff you reckon I can uninstall too? And any tips on uninstalling things, for example this GarageBand? Do I just drag the icon into the trash?
Thank very much
Justin
Yep - or you can completely remove all traces using a program like AppZapper.
QUOTE Thanks
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
That implies that removing a program by dragging it to the trash doesn't remove all traces. So what is usually left over? Random parts? Is it then advisable to never remove a program by dragging it to the trash from the applications folder?
Thank you!
Justin

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

There are app support files and prefs from the app that dont get deleted when you just drag the app to the trash.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

Quote:
That implies that removing a program by dragging it to the trash doesn't remove all traces. So what is usually left over? Random parts? Is it then advisable to never remove a program by dragging it to the trash from the applications folder?
Thank you!
Justin
An application in the mac world is a .app file, which is actually a library, housing the entire program. The parts that don't get deleted are any user preferences that are stored in a separate file.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemm View Post
An application in the mac world is a .app file, which is actually a library, housing the entire program. The parts that don't get deleted are any user preferences that are stored in a separate file.
Is it bad to not delete them? What do folks usually do with them? Is there any harm in not bothering with them (those abandoned preferences)? And I guess they barely take up any space right?

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks
Mitcherooney

Mitcherooney will become famous soon enough

Before you go crazy and delete important program files, get hold of Omnidisksweeper and see just what is taking up space on your HD. You may well find that you have all sorts of data files that you no longer require. PS If you want to delete them from Omnidisksweeper, you get 24 hours to do it for free. After that you have to shell out a few pennies to use it freely. Cheers Mitcherooney
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is it bad to not delete them?
No.

Quote:
What do folks usually do with them?
I'd imagine most people don't realize they're there.

Quote:
Is there any harm in not bothering with them (those abandoned preferences)? And I guess they barely take up any space right?
Personally, if I have to spend $15 to make sure my computer is free of any residual garbage that will build up over time, it's worth it - especially if it's easy and convenient to use. But you're right in that usually residual stuff outside of the .app file usually takes up a nominal amount of space.
QUOTE Thanks
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Do you know any alternative to appzapper? I just tried it now and it's not working. Everytime I try to zapp Garageband it says "All te apps you dropped on AppZapper were safe or currently open. [...]" There are no applications on the safe list, and it is most certainly NOT open. I tried both methods also, of dropping the app onto it, and also going through file> zap application. Neither are working. So, do you know another application that does the same thing?

Thank you!
Justin

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Run a search of the app's name using Command-F or Spotlight to find the residual files and trash them.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Do you know any alternative to appzapper? I just tried it now and it's not working. Everytime I try to zapp Garageband it says "All te apps you dropped on AppZapper were safe or currently open. [...]" There are no applications on the safe list, and it is most certainly NOT open. I tried both methods also, of dropping the app onto it, and also going through file> zap application. Neither are working. So, do you know another application that does the same thing?

Thank you!
Justin
I don't. I've never had that problem before. Have you tried rebooting the system?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

OK folks, I just got back home from a business trip, perhaps feeling a little punchy, and I read the title of this thread.

Perhaps I should apologize in advance for this groaner, but here goes...

what is apple loops? ...a flavor of Fruit Loops? :-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Sort of reminds me of that line from Forrest Gump, where Forrest learns that his partner has "got us invested in some fruit company", as he gazes upon an Apple Computer stock certificate! I loved that line! :-)

Forrest of course is independently wealthy after this, since we all know that the "fruit company" in question did quite well for a while ...and is doing very well again!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

Quote:

Thank you!
Justin
A good alternative, that is totally FREE is AppDelete Really easy to use because it works like the trash bin, you just drag the app to delete to the bin, and it finds all relevant files/references for that program and deletes them. Another free alternative is to just do a quick search via spotlight for any .plist files or support files that may be left over (that is all that usually is.)

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sending images to AOL addys | Any suggtions on how to get this network printer to work? »