Core Duo or Core 2 Duo???
    Should I keep the core duo and upgrade to 2gb ram?? Or get the core 2 duo with 1gb ram??? Which one is better? All i want really is programs to open quickly, fast UI, and not be sluggish or crash at all

Specs:
    MacBook
    Keep what you have.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    If you have the core duo, you have a fast enough machine for now, there is no need to upgrade, what you have is a good computer, just like I have a 2.16 core duo and I know that it will last me a few years before I buy a new laptop...
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Specs:
    iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
    Quote Originally Posted by 12991 View Post
    Should I keep the core duo and upgrade to 2gb ram?? Or get the core 2 duo with 1gb ram??? Which one is better? All i want really is programs to open quickly, fast UI, and not be sluggish or crash at all
    Keep what you have (or if you really need to chamge give ne yours and I'll give you mine in return)

Core 2 duo is only the start.....there are quads and other multi core processors on the horizon.....so when is enough?

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Unless you have a serious need for the extra horsepower, there's really no need for you to upgrade the processor. If you have a real need to spend money, I would suggest getting the RAM, as you can never have enough RAM :black:

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    That's like a huge cost difference! From an economically sensible POV, keep the Core Duo. If you have all the money in the world and don't care about being sensible, buy the C2D.
    BUT, a CD with 2GB RAM will appear smoother in many areas than a C2D with just 1GB RAM. The processors differ only marginally.
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Specs:
    17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
    Despite what Apple claim Core 2s don't give you a huge increase so it would be a waste of money.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by DrQuincy View Post
    Despite what Apple claim Core 2s don't give you a huge increase so it would be a waste of money.
    ...at least for the moment. Once 64-bit applications become commonplace, you'll see much better performance on a machine capable of taking advantage of the 64-bit instruction sets.

But I agree with the other posters - look at how long it's taken software vendors to port to universal binaries. It will take even longer to port to 64-bit (if ever). It's far more likely that your CD MacBook's major moving components will fail before then that it is that you will find yourself wanting for 64-bit support. The bottom line is that here and now, the need for a 64-bit processor is relatively insignificant. Check back in 3 years and we'll be singing a different tune. By that time, 8+ core processors and cache size increases - even different CPU archetectures will make the difference between a CD and a C2D mostly irrelevant.

Specs:
    2.33Ghz iMac Core 2 Duo, 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4
    You'll find adding an extra GB of RAW will bost performance more than upgrading the processor at this point in time

Thread Information