New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac Pro - Convince me to go Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mcmillyonaire

mcmillyonaire is on a distinguished road

I've signed up for a course in photography. Its laptop mandatory. I'm not sure whether i should get windows or mac. If I can be convinced I will go for a mac. I also have a panasonic dvd video camera. How do I know whether it will work with the mac. It uses usb 2.0 and needs a dvd ram driver. On top of that I have a business making slideshow videos.

Convince me.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

A rather unlikely response for someone here in a Mac group, but I read the following requirements:

1/ Photography - likely means you need to run Photoshop
2/ Laptop

Photoshop is not currently available as a Universal application (PPC and Intel native) yet, which means that if you run it on one of Apple's current laptops, which are Intel chips, it will have to be interpreted through Rosetta, Apple's real time PPC to Intel emulator. This means it will be slower than the same program running native on the Intel chip.

It sounds to me like you need a PC laptop so that you can run Photoshop in native format.

I'm really sorry to recommend this, since the Mac is so much better a machine generally, but if Photoshop performance is a key requirement, you will be better served with a PC for the next 6 months or so until CS3 comes out.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Or he could just get CS2... I own it and it's amazing.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

CS2 is not a Universal Binary (although it is pretty responsive when I use it on my macbook pro) CS3 will be when it comes out.

For the slideshow business you could use final cut pro for that stuff and do some really amazing stuff (as I do for my business).

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
CarlConti08

CarlConti08 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD

The newest C2D MacBook Pros(2.33GHz) are the first Intel laptops to run Rosetta apps FASTER than the G5 PowerBooks. So if you go the MacBook Pro route over plain old MacBook, which I would assume you would since you'd need the more powerful graphics card, having it run slower shouldn’t be much of a problem.

As far as your DVD camcorder, I can't be sure without hooking it up and checking, but I would think it'd be compatible with a Mac. Macs come stock with tons of drivers built in. If you want to go Mac, take the camcorder up to an apple store or apple retailer, explain your situation and I'm sure they'll hook it up and see if it works.

I don't know much about slideshow videos or software but I’ve made some using imovie and they looked good. I can't be much help with that (that is if what I’ve said has been any help at all) but I’m sure someone out there in the forums knows of some good program. Also, if you decide to check out the compatibility of your camcorder, talk to one of the apple salespeople. If you explain what your needs and concerns are, I'm sure they can find things to meet those needs.

QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

You wanna be happy? Do it man! Duh.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmillyonaire View Post
I've signed up for a course in photography. Its laptop mandatory. I'm not sure whether i should get windows or mac. If I can be convinced I will go for a mac. I also have a panasonic dvd video camera. How do I know whether it will work with the mac. It uses usb 2.0 and needs a dvd ram driver. On top of that I have a business making slideshow videos.

Convince me.

Thanks.
I agree with the other posters in that Photoshop doesn't run natively on Intel, so you'll likely have better performance on a PC.

That said, many of us who are currently using Macs have made the switch because they are annoyed with the faults of Windows enough to overlook some of the temporary shortcomings of Mac, like the lack of universal binaries for some major applications. If reliability, a quick and efficient OS that doesn't get in your way and general ease of use are important to you, then the Mac might be worth serious consideration. Besides, you can always run Photoshop in Windows via Bootcamp if you find the performance unacceptable under Rosetta.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you and let us know what you decide and why.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

...or get a used Powerbook.

CS2 is native.
Proven technology.
Still faster than most laptops.
Sweet looks.
RAM maxes out at 2Gb on most 15"-17" models (1.25Gb on 12").
Great video.

Et Cetera.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

CS2 isn't native on the Intel machines. It runs under Rosette.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossBones View Post
CS2 isn't native on the Intel machines. It runs under Rosette.
He's referring to the PowerBook which would have a PPC processor, under which Photoshop would run natively.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No viruses, no spyware, No need for that memory hog Norton, or paying for McAfee or even running the free AVG. Don't need to run Spybot and AdAware any longer.

15" MacBook Pro - $2499;.....17" Macbook Pro - $2799;......17" Dell - $2479
2.33 Ghz.............................2.33 Ghz.............................2.00 Ghz
2 GB RAM............................2 GB RAM...........................1 GB RAM
120 GB drive.......................160 GB drive........................80 GB drive
6x double layer....................8x double layer....................8x double layer
X1600 256MB.......................X1600 256 MB......................Go 7900 GS 256 MB
Camera built-in....................Camera built-in.....................N/A
Fire wire 800.......................Fire wire 800........................N/A
N/A...................................N/A.....................................5 in 1 card reader
1 yr warranty.......................1 yr warranty......................2 yr warranty
No virus scanner...................No virus scanner.................15 month virus subscription

Upgrade Dell to 2.33Ghz............ADD: $425
Upgrade Dell to 2 GB RAM..........ADD: $225
Upgrade Dell to 120 GB drive......ADD: $45

Upgrade MAC to 3 yr warranty - $349..........Upgrade Dell to 3 yr warranty - $318

Final tab with 3 yr warranty

15" MAC....$2848
17" MAC....$3148
17" DELL....$3492

To be fair the hard drive in the Dell is 7200 RPM vs 5400 in the MAC. Of course for the $ saved can buy a much larger Fire wire 800 drive for back up and storage for your MAC.

This is why I bought the MAC instead of a PC.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I think people tend to get a little 'performance happy' when it comes to doing things with technology. Professionals have been using Photoshop to run businesses and interface with whatever camera/video/editing software for quite awhile on PPC macs for many years now. An Intel Mac will do pretty much the same thing on the newer hardware with Rosetta even without the 'nativeness' in pretty much the same way, even on the consumer grade Macbooks. It will only get better when Adobe and other software producers produce the Universal binary versions. Once that happens you will be ready to go with it for your business without the virus/spyware/malware issues that plague the windows world.

So really, you can invest in your photo platform in the windows world, where it certainly works well enough but you have to contend with the issues that are involved in the windows OS, or you can invest in the Mac world, which is geared specifically to the creative arts. The Mac as it is works wondefully with Photoshop, video editing, and other graphical endeavours as it stands today. It will only get better in the very near future, and with the same hardware that you can buy now. With a Windows PC/laptop you will only get empty promises that are generated by a marketing juggernaut leveraging its monopoly over the masses.

Apple doesn't really seem to market as much as it just makes good hardware with which its software works as flawlessly as any software can. It is also much more enjoyable to use and look at for hours on end. Of course with certain caveats, as always, but in my own experience over only two years of using a Mac I don't see them doing anything that would prevent professionals in the graphical arts from effortlessly creating whatever the hardware is capable of doing. And this includes professional TV and movie producers.

I used to think that Apple hardware was always overpriced for what it did, but now that I have used one for an extended period I am convinced that it is worth every penny. I'm not a fanboy either. I still use (professionally) Windows and Linux computers but for my own needs (and if I were to start an independent business) I will always use a Mac from now on.
QUOTE Thanks
mcmillyonaire

mcmillyonaire is on a distinguished road

First, I'd like to say thanks for all the quick responses. In regards to CS3, I know there is a beta release. Just curious whether anybody has used the beta and whether it runs natively.
What is the difference between the power books and the mac pros?
I'm not sure if there are any authorized resellers around here, I live in the small town of morrisburg, to test my video camera. Initially I tried to contact apple through the website but there wasn't really any to contact them.
At the moment I use premiere to edit my videos. Considering the team who created premiere also created final cut pro I can see the switch being considerably easy. I'm running an Hp pavillion right now. It hasn't given me much trouble.
Once again, thanks for the responses.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

CS3 was built to run as a Universal binary, which means it will run natively on both Intel and PPC machines. I think it would be safe to assume that the beta is Universal.

The Powerbooks are the last generation of professional Apple laptops. They have G4 PowerPC processors instead of the Macbook Pro's Intel processors. They're still quite speedy and can handle most tasks well. Plus, all PPC software and Universal binaries run natively, so you don't have to worry about Rosetta.

Of course, I will obviously recommend you get the Intel based Macbook Pro as it is the faster machine, which helps a lot when dealing with editing of any form of media.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I agree with the other posters in that Photoshop doesn't run natively on Intel, so you'll likely have better performance on a PC.

That said, many of us who are currently using Macs have made the switch because they are annoyed with the faults of Windows enough to overlook some of the temporary shortcomings of Mac, like the lack of universal binaries for some major applications. If reliability, a quick and efficient OS that doesn't get in your way and general ease of use are important to you, then the Mac might be worth serious consideration. Besides, you can always run Photoshop in Windows via Bootcamp if you find the performance unacceptable under Rosetta.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you and let us know what you decide and why.
This is the most sensible reply of them all. Choosing between a Mac and PC in terms of what work you intend to do is negligible. What really needs to be considered is what you want out of the laptop when you're done working on it.

If it's to be left on the side, or you prefer Windows, then a Dell etc. will be loads cheaper and perform just as well.

If you intend to use the laptop for personal computing then you really need to consider the pros and cons of each OS.

I choose OS X over Windows for personal use, but when I'm in work I choose the machine that runs the applications I need the fastest.

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop icons keep rearranging position | Hosts Files? »