New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Recent Macbook purchaser and have an iPhoto question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pdutta2000

pdutta2000 is on a distinguished road

I'm happy to say that I've bought my first mac. It's a nice white Macbook. I have to say that I really am liking the layout, etc. Not sure if I'll ditch windows completely, but the mac is cool.

I have one issue that I can't seem to figure out though. I recently got married and as such I have a ton of pics from my wedding. I used a program to resize the images from the 3-4MB files that the professional photographer gave me to a more web-friendly 750k-1MB. When I try and open these images in iPhoto, however, they come up all distorted. Almost as if someone played around with the Hue and Saturation. In the preview window they show up fine and in Photoshop CS2 on my Windows pc they show up fine. They are only messed up when I try and import them into iPhoto. Any ideas what's going on here? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Sounds like a color space issue. Open one of the images in Preview. Select Tools, Get Info. On the presented Document Info window, on the Summary tab (should be the one Preview presents first), at the bottom you will see a line called "ColorSync Profile". I am guessing it says something like "Adobe RGB", or pretty much anything but "sRGB".

sRGB is more or less the least common denominator of color spaces. It has a limited color gamut, but it is reproduced decently by most monitors. With little if any tweaking ,the average mnitor will deisplay a sRGB photo with reasonable color fidelity.

Adobe RGB, on the other hand, has a much wider color gamut (can reproduce much wider range of colors) than sRGB. Pretty much all professional photographers shoot in Adobe RGB (high end cameras let you pick which color space you want to shoot in).

What happens if you display an Adobe RGB image using an image viewer/editor that doesn't understand color spaces and treats it like it was an sRGB image? Just what you are reporting. The Hue and Saturation look totally whacked out.

Now it so happens that Preview is color space knowledgeable, as are most Mac image apps. Hence your images look OK when viewed with Preview. Photoshop CERTAINLY is color space knowledgeable - its extensive color management capabilities are one of its many strong points.

Since you have Photoshop CS2 on your PC, you can fix both the color space issue AND the sizing issue all in one fell swoop. Fire up Photoshop CS2 and go to File, Scripts, Image Processor. There you can specify a folder of images to process, a folder to put the processed images into when done (don't overwrite the originals - you would lose valuable data!), AND key, you can tell it what color space to write the processed files in, and what size you want them to be. That should do the trick for you.

Image Processor is a fabulous bit of work - yet another of those amazing strengths that Photoshop has.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
pdutta2000

pdutta2000 is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for the reply. The original files opened up fine so it turns out that the re-sizing program I was using wasn't really good. I will try Photoshop for the resizing.

Pritam
Macbook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sorry More Newbie Questions... | I messed up bad. »