New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook Pro Not That Good?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

I've seen on here that some people are actually saying that the MacBook is better than the MacBook Pro. I think I have decided to get a MacBook Pro mainly because it does not have to share memory for the video card. I will be using Photoshop CS2 heavy and only a little, if any, video editing. Is there a reason I should not get the MacBook Pro?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The Macbook Pro is a TOP of the line Pro Notebook. As you mentioned, the Video, the case construction and many features since it's a Pro machine.

The MacBook is a fine computer for those who do not need the better video and other features of the MBP, but in no way is the Macbook a better system except for the lower price which most people can appreciate! Besides the lower price the only other thing I would rather have a MacBook for is the smaller size for more portability. I do not play demanding games on my Notebooks so do not need the better video, but if I had the spare $$$ I would get the MBP any day of the week over the MB if price were no object if you get my meaning.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

If the MacBook meets your needs for size, weight, price, & performance than it's a better choice than a MBP.

If you want some of the features available only in the MBP (discrete video system, larger display, more rugged construction, etc.) then the MBP is the better choice.
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

I think the point of people asking is that they don't know what they need or how programs run in the Mac environment. The MacBook seems like what I need but the MacBook Pro has a better video card.

Is that the only REAL difference between the MacBook and MacBook Pro, just the video card?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
I think the point of people asking is that they don't know what they need or how programs run in the Mac environment. The MacBook seems like what I need but the MacBook Pro has a better video card.

Is that the only REAL difference between the MacBook and MacBook Pro, just the video card?
It also has the Expresscard34 slot for expansion capability, the bigger screen of course, and on the Core 2 Duo units, a Firewire 800 port. If any of those are important to you, than the MBP might be a better choice.

If you're just going to do the basics, not play games or run any heavy hitter applications that might take advantage of the discrete video in the MBP, then it's not advantageous to go with the MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

cwa107, what would you consider a heavy hitter app? are photoshop and flash heavy hitters?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I think in some ways, the generous specs Apple offer with the MacBook are partly to blame for this confusion.

Processor wise, the MacBook offers as much grunt and processing power as its bigger brother. Not only that, but the GMA950 GPU in the MacBook is shown to be marginally more efficient at video encoding/decoding than the ATI X1900 in the MBP.

The larger screen, 3D capabilities, FireWire 800 and expandibility of the MBP though mean that for the serious user, it's a better rounded machine.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
JRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I think in some ways, the generous specs Apple offer with the MacBook are partly to blame for this confusion.

Processor wise, the MacBook offers as much grunt and processing power as its bigger brother. Not only that, but the GMA950 GPU in the MacBook is shown to be marginally more efficient at video encoding/decoding than the ATI X1900 in the MBP.

The larger screen, 3D capabilities, FireWire 800 and expandibility of the MBP though mean that for the serious user, it's a better rounded machine.
wow, now i am really confused on which to get.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of

Quote:
wow, now i am really confused on which to get.
What are you going to use it for? I got a MacBook because I wanted something small and also didn't really want to pay more than $2000.

Photoshop really screams for a bigger screen, but performance wise there will be little or no difference, same with Flash animation.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
slyseeker

slyseeker has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB

I bought my Macbook Pro over the Macbook mostly due to the screen resolution and FW800, both of which the Macbook was lacking. I "stepped up" from my Powerbook G4 (1.67), which basically offered the same screen resolution as the Macbook (aside from FW800), I also can't stand the glossy screen on the MB.

That said, transitioning to the Macbook Pro from the Powerbook was incredibly seamless, to the point where I don't notice any performance increases other than a better and brighter screen. I'm sure that once Adobe CS3 hits the shelves, I'll be coasting, but I could just as easily switch to my Powerbook if I'm not working on a design that requires larger resolutions.
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

What about just geting a g4 powerbook, photoshop doesn't need a really fast computer to work at full speed I don't think, I have CS2 and it works fast on my 1.33ghz powerbook, I would say save you the money and buy a 17" powerbook 1.6ghz with a 1 gig ram maybe 2 if you want it with a superdrive. Much cheeper that a 17" macbook pro. Then you could by CS3 with the extra money when it comes out.
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
What are you going to use it for? I got a MacBook because I wanted something small and also didn't really want to pay more than $2000.

Photoshop really screams for a bigger screen, but performance wise there will be little or no difference, same with Flash animation.
I will be using it for Photoshop, Flash and Dreamweaver, almost no video editing, oh and running XP in Parallels. If I got the MacBook I would get the black one with 2gb or RAM. But I just assumed that the MacBook Pro would be better. I don't want to waste my money on something I don't need.
QUOTE Thanks
taylorwilsdon

taylorwilsdon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM

As an owner of both systems, the Macbook Pro is so, so much better.

The Macbook looks and feels cheap. Its very compact and easy to carry, but its honestly not that much lighter then the Macbook Pro. Also, the case on the Macbook Pro looks so much classier with the silver.

Its also much faster. The pro is hands down the better choice if you can afford it.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Quote:
I will be using it for Photoshop, Flash and Dreamweaver, almost no video editing, oh and running XP in Parallels. If I got the MacBook I would get the black one with 2gb or RAM. But I just assumed that the MacBook Pro would be better. I don't want to waste my money on something I don't need.
For design of websites and using Photoshop, I'd get the bigger screen. Really, 1280*800 is a little cramped for web design and photo editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorwilsdon View Post
As an owner of both systems, the Macbook Pro is so, so much better.

The Macbook looks and feels cheap. Its very compact and easy to carry, but its honestly not that much lighter then the Macbook Pro. Also, the case on the Macbook Pro looks so much classier with the silver.

Its also much faster. The pro is hands down the better choice if you can afford it.
The MacBook doesn't look or feel cheap, my MacBook Black cost $1700 all in, which is hardly a budget laptop. I agree about the weight, the difference is small - the MacBook is actually quite heavy, thanks to its solid build (which you call cheap!).

As to which looks 'classier' - I like the Black, but everyone will feel differently. The Pro really does look like a serious bit of kit.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
JRV

Well I would be hooking it up to an external monitor. But I need a laptop so I can travel with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I messed up bad. | Just received my Macbook pro ! Few Questions »