New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Linux to Mac Switchers Guide - Comments?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have written a Linux to Mac switchers guide, and posted it at my web site. I would welcome your review and commentary. See below for the URL.

As a Linux to Mac switcher myself, I found myself often poorly served by the Windows focused switchers guides that are available. I realized that in bits and pieces, over the time since I switched, I have been posting elements of such a guide here in these forums as I have learned things. I have now taken the time to assemble them all, plus lots of new stuff, into a hopefully helpful guide for new Linux switchers to Mac.

The guide is available at:

http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Li...linux2mac.html

I would love to have your review and feedback. Longer term, if this guide is deemed to be useful, I would love to see it turned into a sticky here at Mac-Forums, so that new Linux switchers could more quickly feel at home.

Thanks!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
a1laserboy

a1laserboy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM

Thats excellent!

I'm just starting to use Suse linux so I'm setting out on a new world in the other direction, but it gives me some tips in reverse
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

Best of luck a1laserboy. There is an active forum of SuSE users at www.linuxquestions.org. I have always found them to be very helpful.

SuSE is an excellent distro to start with. It is very complete, very solid, and for the most part, everything just works. SuSE 9.3 was a standout in this area, 10.0 not so much so.

Good luck!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

It's great! I don't agree on the font rendering though, I clicked the screen caps, found Mac OS X the nicest one, and THEN read your text which surprised me. I'm sure the opinions differ here.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Yes indeed! When I first did those screen caps, I posted the results here in these forums and there was vigorous discussion! As I say in the guide, there is no real right and wrong here, just personal preference.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Great work, it's excellent. As someone who spent a significant amount of time learning Linux just before my switch, everything seemed relevant and useful. I'll be sure to refer any Linux geek friends who consider switching.

BTW, I think that deserves more than just a +1 rep. I hope others agree with me.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

I have updated my Linux to Mac Switcher's Guide, adding URLs for each of the applications in the "Some Critical Software To Get" section, and adding an entirely new section called "Multimedia Messaging and Your Mac", which provides switcher oriented information on IM, Email and VoIP and Video calling.

You can find the guide at:

As always, comments and feedback are MOST welcome!

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Hi all, just a notification that I have updated my "Linux to Mac Switcher's Guide" with some additional information on keyboard mappings.

The guide can be found at:

Comments always welcomed!

QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Great job! I switched over from Linux and wish that would have been available then. Someone that spends that much time trying to help other people should be commended.
QUOTE Thanks
amardilo

amardilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Great site dude that's very useful. I'll keep that one bookmarked.
QUOTE Thanks
Blown284

Blown284 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini & MB Pro

As you know, I'm a *Nix power user and this is my first experience with the Mac or at least for a LOT of years. I found your article very useful to make correlation between the way you do things in Linux vs. Mac and it's helped me out quite a bit.

I truly appreciate the effort you've put into your article and hope that it helps tons of other folks.

Regards,
Tim
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Hi all, just a quick note that I have added a new section to my Linux to Mac switchers guide on installing Apple X11. The guide can be found at:

As always, comments and questions are welcomed.

QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

Sweet. I don't use Linux alot. My friend does and he wants to get a mac. I'll be sure to show it to him.

Rep.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
Blown284

Blown284 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini & MB Pro

I just wanted to say that I've read your article and you've done a splendid job keeping up with it and I'm sure it's helped the community tremendously. Thank you for all of your hard work.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A few General Questions..... | How do you close an application completely? »