New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook: WHAT AN INCREDIBLE PIECE OF MACHINERY!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

I've messed around on my macbook for the last few days since I got it. I must have spent a total of 6 hours in the last 2 days getting to know it and all I can really say is that it is INCREDIBLE. I had never spent 6 hours on a PC without wanting to pull my hair out. Mac OS X Tiger seems to be eons ahead of Windows XP, technologically speaking. The 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor paired with the 2GB RAM makes this thing as fast as I've ever seen a computer go. Apple has won me over, and after my dad saw it he's now considering getting a Mac desktop. The best part was during the setup when it automatically detected my home wireless network. Anything I try to do with this OS is effortless. And the internet is screaming fast from anywhere in the house. This is a great technological masterpiece and I cannot wait to see what Apple does next with its notebooks. I'll never use a PC again. Great job Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

amen!!!

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

amen to that amen
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

love mine too!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

brianj08 will become famous soon enough

my 1.83 core duo macbook with 2 gig of ram in my baby! haha
i really want to upgrade my combo drive to a superdrive. is that possible to do by myself?

white Macbook 1.83 GHz Core Duo/ 2 GB ram/ 60 GB HDD/ Wireless bluetooth mouse/ JBL Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i don't think you can do that without voiding the warranty.

i need to do the 2G ram upgrade. will probably help me run civ4 a lot better!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

that hurts that it would void the warranty. theres no way to do this without voiding the warranty?

white Macbook 1.83 GHz Core Duo/ 2 GB ram/ 60 GB HDD/ Wireless bluetooth mouse/ JBL Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
eric

ask apple to do it.
or
get a firewire/usb dvd burner.

QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

thats true, i totally forgot about that.

QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Best idea would be to get an external burner. For one, they are usually around 2 times as fast as any built-in burner could be, for hardware space reasons. The second reason is that if Apple is unwilling to do a hard drive upgrade on a MacBook Pro (the case has to be disassembled, unlike the MacBook), I highly doubt they would take on something as involved as an optical drive upgrade.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
dann

dann is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm totally new around here.. and I still haven't bought my macbook (can't wait for it, though), but I am having some questions...
My Desktop PC's motherboard was killed, but I believe that the hard drive in it hasn't been killed too... so, I was wondering if after I turn my old HD into an external drive using an USB cable to connect it to the computer, will the mac recognize the thingy as an external drive like a PC would, and if yes, will I have any troubles moving things from the external drive to the internal drive, even if WinXP is installed in the external drive? BTW, my HD had two partitions before, will that interfere on the way I see things?

Sorry if i may sound stupid or ignorant, I just really wanted to know... Hope someone call help me out ..

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
eric

you can mount the old drive in an external case (10-30 bucks), either usb, firewire, or both.

the drive will almost definitely be recognized unless there is some weird issue with the drive.
you will be able to copy anything on it to your mac.
you may or may not be able to write to it, modify stuff on it, or delete anything from it. if it is formatted NTFS, you will only be able to read. if it is formatted FAT32 or FAT16, you're good to go.

if it is formatted NTFS, copy anything off of it that you want to save, then in the mac's disk utility you can reformat as fat32 to have the best compatability between macs and pcs.

QUOTE Thanks
cvx5832

cvx5832 is on a distinguished road

2GB memory upgrade has been very helpful, especially when working with videos.
QUOTE Thanks
dann

dann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
you can mount the old drive in an external case (10-30 bucks), either usb, firewire, or both.

the drive will almost definitely be recognized unless there is some weird issue with the drive.
you will be able to copy anything on it to your mac.
you may or may not be able to write to it, modify stuff on it, or delete anything from it. if it is formatted NTFS, you will only be able to read. if it is formatted FAT32 or FAT16, you're good to go.

if it is formatted NTFS, copy anything off of it that you want to save, then in the mac's disk utility you can reformat as fat32 to have the best compatability between macs and pcs.

Thanks so much for your help!! I really appreciate it

Dann :yinyang:
QUOTE Thanks
???

??? is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0Ghz

Apple, mac, OS X all rule oh and intel cores.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« bestskinsever for macbook | Question about kernel panics »