New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Back to desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

quackbook

quackbook is an unknown at this point

When I am playing a game like age of empires 3, i sometimes need to return to the desktop to check something. On windows, you can push the window button or press alt-tab.

I have tried command-tab, command-H, command-M. None of these seem to work.

Is there anything out there that will work?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

command+tab should work, as it works for me no matter what game I am in (halo is the only game i play.. very occasionally)

if not try apple+w which will close the window.. or try F11

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

F11 maybe? It depends on how you have Exposé set up on your Mac. To see this, go to your System Preferences and click on the Dashboard & Exposé button in the Personal section at the very top.

Edited to add:

Oops! It seems PowerBookG4 has beat me to it with the F11 thingy...
QUOTE Thanks
quackbook

nope, none of those work. I want to be able to return to the desktop but not shut down the game.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

One of the reasons why it may not work is that some games have those keyboard shortcuts disabled. So you can try all sorts of keyboard shortcuts, but it's possible that the only way to get back to your desktop is by shutting down the game.

I may be wrong about this game in particular, but keep in mind that the possibility is there.
QUOTE Thanks
quackbook

ahhh, I need to know! It'll be a disgrace if my brand spanking new macbook can't do this and my piece of sh*t PC can!
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Try Command + Return, sometimes that will make it a window and then you can minimize.

QUOTE Thanks
quackbook

nope that does not work either :-(
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

it sounds like age of empires has well and truly disabled any OS handling of keyboard events. At a push, you could try command-option-escape which is like ctrl-alt-del in Windows - it interrupts whatever is running and pops up the 'force quit' window that you can then close.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Displaying folder sizes, and tree-like structure | 4.7G DVDs appear to have only 4.38G »