New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Multiple Computers?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

I noticed that many of you have at least two computers? How come? I like to buy a top of the line laptop that can handle my needs and hook it up to a monitor/keyboard and mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Ok, ok, I don't actually have my macbook yet but when I do - I'll have 2 computers - one for ultra sexy mobile computing and the other so I can continue to use (dare I say it) Windows and Linux.

I guess there would be nothing I'll be able to do with my 2 machines that you can't do with a powerful notebook - but for me - the main thing I want from a notebook is portability - therefore I want a powerful notebook but I want a light notebook with the best possible battery life - I don't think the top end MBP can offer what I'm looking for in terms of portability even if it does make up for it in terms of power.

My Windows machine doesn't get moved, it can be packed with big heavy HDDs and powerful graphics card so that I can do more demanding tasks (like playing games...) at home.

Personal preference I guess.

I take it you have sexy MBP with all the extras then?

Dave
QUOTE Thanks
???

??? is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0Ghz

I have a MBP, and I am considering either a mini or an imac soon. I use my mbp around the house, work and whatever else. I want the other to act as an always on sever, to back up files and be a work horse.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I got an iMac when the G5's were first released and then a Macbook when they were released. My iMac has 4 external hard drives plugged in, a TV tuner, and is where I do my work when I am in my dorm room. I love having the macbook because I go to the library or science center and can work on everything there. When I come home for break I didn't need to disconnect everything and pack up the iMac, I just had to throw my Macbook into the bag.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
ryanwarsaw

ryanwarsaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D

I happen to have 4. One PC laptop and desktop and an Imac and a MBP. At the moment with my cable DSL (limits on multiple connections) set up none of them are working to my needs.

I use multiple machines for the reliability factor. As well as the fact that some platforms aren't compatible (give me utorrent, torrentharvester and tvuplayer and i can quit Windows forever). I already have Windows and OS X so i dont see the need to pollute one system with another running emulators and what not. I wouldn't run OS X on Windows (although from what I understand it is possible) and likewise why would i bother running Windows on a Mac? The desktops I have obviously always stay at home and what laptop I take with me depends upon what I expect to do and where I plan on going.

My MBP isn't going to come with me next month on an extended world wide trip because it might get broken or stolen. If my old Acer gets stomped on or stolen, who cares? My MBP on the other hand would accompany me to NYC.

So in answer to the question of why do i have more than one? Well it is easy i like running whatever OS I have 100% natively without partitions and nonsense and I like having back ups for what I currently own, my Wintel desktop is basically just a glorified storage tank.

I just had the thought while writing this of getting a PC that has linux (budget level machine so not a Mac). With Vista coming out laptops are going for very cheap. What would anybody here recommend for specs to run linux? I probably won't use it much so I was thinking maybe 512 RAM would be enough? I can get a laptop here thats pretty decent with not too small a hard drive for like $250 so I would appreciate any input about running Linux.

Ryan
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

@ryanwarsaw

I ran various linux distros on a HP laptop until I got rid of it a few months back the spec:

HP Pavilion
Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz, 512Mb RAM (32Mb shared with Graphics)
ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics (Max 64Mb Shared)
ALI Sound, 30Gb HDD, DVD/CDrw, Internal Modem, Internal MacPhyter network card, BENQ AWL100 PCMCIA 11Mb Wireless Card

It worked perfectly well with every distro I tried (Ubuntu and SuSE probably being the best on that machine) Obviously as with most/all systems more RAM = better performance and that is very true of Linux as well. I don't imagine a system of that spec would go for much now. Infact I would guess that you'd get a better CPU with most budget systems now (That celeron was rubbish at folding but fine for most things I wanted to do).
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

I use my G4 Cube for playing music in iTunes/iPod syncing, photo and video storage, IM, light web browsing and a few other general light tasks.

I use my G4 PowerBook as a main machine where I do heavier work, main web browsing, office tasks/college work, photo editing etc.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks
Mike.Bowden

Mike.Bowden is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"

Well let's see. I've got a Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz, which I use for all my graphic design/publication work. My MacBook could handle it and does when I'm on the road, but I have dual 19" LG's hooked to my Mac Pro which makes any design work much easier and way more fun. My MacBook is fast but it's no where near the speed of my Mac Pro, plus my Mac Pro has a 250Gig HD in it whereas my MacBook only has an 80Gig, so it gives me more space.

If I had to list reasons why I have two computers (really I own 6 computers) it would be:

Mac Pro
It's faster
Stationary (External Hard Drives, 3 Scanners, 2 printers and a nice speaker system)
Dual Monitors

You can hook all this to a MacBook, but the time it would take to unhook and rehook everything up on a daily basis would just drive anyone mad. So I just sync the two of them once they connect to the network and anything I do on one will show up on the other, so I just charge my MacBook and when I need to run grab it and go. Everything is there and I don't need to hookup or unhook anything when I need to run.

Regards,
Mike Bowden
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

I bought my MBP specifically so it would do everything I need. It's big and powerful enough to act as a desktop replacement. But it's thin and light enough -- compared to my 2+" thick, 11# Dell XPS "notebook" -- to travel easily.

I can run necessary Windows work applications in Parallels. I can play games with BootCamp. I can watch movies or listen to music with FrontRow. I can do photo editing and work (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.) in Mac OS X. I can browse the web and read email in OS X with greater safety and security without the need for a dozen anti-spam, anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware, anti-whatever programs running in the background.

When I'm at home, I can plug in a keyboard, mouse, my 24" widescreen monitor, my big FireWire external HDD, and work with a system that is bette than the "average" desktop being sold today.

All on one computer.

Now, having said that, I see a Mac Pro in my future.
QUOTE Thanks
Le Fumeur

Le Fumeur is on a distinguished road

I got a Macbook Pro, got rid of all of my crappy Windows machines, and never looked back!
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
Ok, ok, I don't actually have my macbook yet but when I do - I'll have 2 computers - one for ultra sexy mobile computing and the other so I can continue to use (dare I say it) Windows and Linux.

I guess there would be nothing I'll be able to do with my 2 machines that you can't do with a powerful notebook - but for me - the main thing I want from a notebook is portability - therefore I want a powerful notebook but I want a light notebook with the best possible battery life - I don't think the top end MBP can offer what I'm looking for in terms of portability even if it does make up for it in terms of power.

My Windows machine doesn't get moved, it can be packed with big heavy HDDs and powerful graphics card so that I can do more demanding tasks (like playing games...) at home.

Personal preference I guess.

I take it you have sexy MBP with all the extras then?

Dave
Actually right now I have the top of the line 12" Dell Laptop. In the spring I will be getting a MacBook with some extra RAM. I plan on using either Parallels or BootCamp and then getting rid of my Dell. I love the MacOS but needed a PC for work reasons. Now that BootCamp is out I will be going Mac. I hear bad things about the upcoming Windows Vista.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
I noticed that many of you have at least two computers? How come? I like to buy a top of the line laptop that can handle my needs and hook it up to a monitor/keyboard and mouse.
I used a top of the line MacBook Pro in this manner for some time. I got tired of it. The MacBook Pro isn't as portable as I'd like, doesn't have the battery life I'd like, and is a bit too fragile.

On the flip side, it runs too hot to comfortably type on, when plugged in at home, and has a limited screen size.

So...I bought a MacBook Black laptop for portable computing, and am picking up a 24" iMac for doing things at home.

Lastly, many of us have programs running 24/7, which we couldn't otherwise do if we were always taking our laptops with us (torrents in my case).

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I have 2 computers. 1 is a 17 inch Macbook Pro, and the other is a dual 23 inch screen set up on a Quad G5.

There are very different uses for both computers. My macbook pro is my computer that I use the most often I use it for regular work, and some very light video editing. I also use it for 3D studio max, because it requires windows and I don't need anything really powerful as I am just learning it.

The quad is more a work computer. I use it as a workstation for heavy video editing and special effects, and compositing. I also use it as a music server since I need all the music on that computer for various reasons so I always have iTunes open so I can listen to it from any computer in my house (but mainly my MBP) there area a lot of other reasons why I have 2 comptuers, but I am in English right now so maybe I will edit this post after class.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

Why do people have multiple Tv's
multiple cars
stereo's

et cetera, either they have a need for it, or they couldnt sell the old stuff, or more then 1 person around

or for people like the above, you have to do something intense, it is nice to have another computer to use that wont be slowed down to a crawl.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I don't have 2 computers. I have ... wait (*counts*) ... 8. I had 9 but gave one away yesterday. It's more the fact that I'm a horder than absolute need, but 5 of them do get used often.

I'm such a nerd.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVDrip codec | Became a Switch Yesterday! »