Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mac=wtf

Violence
    Cool mac=wtf
    Meh, this is my second time writing this, and not by choice.

Yeah well...I'm a Windows user and have been thinking of been switching for a little while now. A few friends of mine use macs, and after taking OSX for a spin I was hooked. I've decided I'm switching, but I'm not quite sure what to switch to. I've been dreaming about the 17" iMac (1.25 Ghz). It looks great (like all apple products) and is within my price range. There are some questions looking for answers tho..There has been speculation about G5 iMacs and I was wondering about the future. If I were to purchase the iMac, would I be missing out greatly by not getting a G5 ? People say, "It all dpeneds on what you want out of your computer". Well I use my computer for a lots of things, mainly being that of the internet, but I do do things like web design, and use prgrams like Photoshop and Illustrator. I don't really work with movies, but, with the option there, I'm sure I'll be checking it out.

Getting a Dual G5 tower is beyong me at the moment, because of the price. I'm only 15 and my income is no defeat, it would take me a few months before I could get an iMac.. A G5 Tower is beyond me because of lack of funds, I guess I jsut really want to know your opinion and guidence. The main thing I want to know is G4 or G5. G5 is supposed to be for pros, well yeah, I'm not a pro, I'm not running huge files and big applications, but I'm no soccer mom either... I'll still be having a PC for hardware and learning. Anyway whatever, I'll stop talking now.

Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Yikes wayta make a simple question or statement annoying. I will fix your text size for the benifit of others.

But i suggest a G4 tower (they are quicker than you think and with alot of RAM blow you away) Get any mac with alot of RAM. eMac I feel is best deal. (course I got an iMac for looks)

Specs:
    MacBook
    I agree with Graphite on this one...heck, for just about the same cost as a new 17" iMac, you could get a new dual 1.25 G4 tower. If you are concerned about cost, there are a ton of online sites that sell used Macs which would certainly fit the bill and would still be plenty useful in the coming years.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Violence
    Well yeah, I could get a dual G4, altho with the display is just a little bit out of my price range..

Yeah so, with only 1.25 Ghz, any chance of the iMac being replaced ? Because I'd hate to buy a whole new computer, then find out there is a more powerful one just released..and then I'll be forced to upgrade... :rolleyes:

Yeah and about online sites, I'm from Australia so most sites don't support here..

shadov
    I'd like to point out one thing about iMac. It has an expensive monitor permanently attached to the rest of the box. That means, when you replace the tower, you have to get new monitor too. And vice versa.

newtomacs
    the only reason i don't like Imacs is having no tower. it is just the computer inside the monitor, also The sound isn't the best thats out there but for what your wanting to do with it, it sounds like it will work... OF course you could always play lets make a deal with your parents that is you buy the tower and they buy the monitor for a new G5!

Violence
    haha, my parents don't buy me anything..Since I have a job, I have to get it myself..

EDIT:
    Is anyone else here from Australia ?

Specs:
    there will be mac updates and mac price drops (100$ atleast) around summer.. july august area. order after that point.

Violence
    Umm, just wondering, I don't really understand the Airport..So can I get Airport Extreme cards for PC ?

Fomer
    Not Apples.

Go to Radio Shack and buy Linksys card and router.

Violence
    I decided that I'll probably go for a G5.

1.6GHz PowerPC G5
    256MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) - 2x128
    80GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
    4x SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-R)
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    Apple Keyboard + Apple Mouse
    Apple Studio Display 17" Flat Panel

Subtotal A$ 4,443.00

It would take me about 7/8 months to get that, then I'll need to upgrade the Ram. X_X By then will there be any change in the G5's or will there be a G6 ?</noob>

Chamorro
    Quote Originally Posted by Violence
    I decided that I'll probably go for a G5.

1.6GHz PowerPC G5
    256MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) - 2x128
    80GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
    4x SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-R)
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    Apple Keyboard + Apple Mouse
    Apple Studio Display 17" Flat Panel

Subtotal A$ 4,443.00

It would take me about 7/8 months to get that, then I'll need to upgrade the Ram. X_X By then will there be any change in the G5's or will there be a G6 ?</noob>
    Probably not a G6, but by then you'll be able to get a better computer.

TylerMoney
    Yeah..by then the g5 price will be lower...we won't see a g6 for another 2 years probably...apple usually makes a completely new chip every three years...but they continueally (spelling?) upgrade the current ones....

Violence
    How much of a price drop will there be ?

Also with the new Power Macs, are the displayes upgraded ? Will I still be able to use my one that I get ?

Specs:
    the 1.6 isnt worth the G5 price. 1.25 G4 with more RAM would be faster.

also wait to buy it until the updates.

Thread Information