New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

mac=wtf

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Violence

Meh, this is my second time writing this, and not by choice.

Yeah well...I'm a Windows user and have been thinking of been switching for a little while now. A few friends of mine use macs, and after taking OSX for a spin I was hooked. I've decided I'm switching, but I'm not quite sure what to switch to. I've been dreaming about the 17" iMac (1.25 Ghz). It looks great (like all apple products) and is within my price range. There are some questions looking for answers tho..There has been speculation about G5 iMacs and I was wondering about the future. If I were to purchase the iMac, would I be missing out greatly by not getting a G5 ? People say, "It all dpeneds on what you want out of your computer". Well I use my computer for a lots of things, mainly being that of the internet, but I do do things like web design, and use prgrams like Photoshop and Illustrator. I don't really work with movies, but, with the option there, I'm sure I'll be checking it out.

Getting a Dual G5 tower is beyong me at the moment, because of the price. I'm only 15 and my income is no defeat, it would take me a few months before I could get an iMac.. A G5 Tower is beyond me because of lack of funds, I guess I jsut really want to know your opinion and guidence. The main thing I want to know is G4 or G5. G5 is supposed to be for pros, well yeah, I'm not a pro, I'm not running huge files and big applications, but I'm no soccer mom either... I'll still be having a PC for hardware and learning. Anyway whatever, I'll stop talking now.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Yikes wayta make a simple question or statement annoying. I will fix your text size for the benifit of others.

But i suggest a G4 tower (they are quicker than you think and with alot of RAM blow you away) Get any mac with alot of RAM. eMac I feel is best deal. (course I got an iMac for looks)
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I agree with Graphite on this one...heck, for just about the same cost as a new 17" iMac, you could get a new dual 1.25 G4 tower. If you are concerned about cost, there are a ton of online sites that sell used Macs which would certainly fit the bill and would still be plenty useful in the coming years.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Violence

Well yeah, I could get a dual G4, altho with the display is just a little bit out of my price range..

Yeah so, with only 1.25 Ghz, any chance of the iMac being replaced ? Because I'd hate to buy a whole new computer, then find out there is a more powerful one just released..and then I'll be forced to upgrade... :rolleyes:

Yeah and about online sites, I'm from Australia so most sites don't support here..
QUOTE Thanks
shadov

I'd like to point out one thing about iMac. It has an expensive monitor permanently attached to the rest of the box. That means, when you replace the tower, you have to get new monitor too. And vice versa.
QUOTE Thanks
newtomacs

the only reason i don't like Imacs is having no tower. it is just the computer inside the monitor, also The sound isn't the best thats out there but for what your wanting to do with it, it sounds like it will work... OF course you could always play lets make a deal with your parents that is you buy the tower and they buy the monitor for a new G5!
QUOTE Thanks
Violence

haha, my parents don't buy me anything..Since I have a job, I have to get it myself..

EDIT:
Is anyone else here from Australia ?
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of

there will be mac updates and mac price drops (100$ atleast) around summer.. july august area. order after that point.
QUOTE Thanks
Violence

Umm, just wondering, I don't really understand the Airport..So can I get Airport Extreme cards for PC ?
QUOTE Thanks
Fomer

Not Apples.

Go to Radio Shack and buy Linksys card and router.
QUOTE Thanks
Violence

I decided that I'll probably go for a G5.

1.6GHz PowerPC G5
256MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) - 2x128
80GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
4x SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-R)
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
Apple Keyboard + Apple Mouse
Apple Studio Display 17" Flat Panel

Subtotal A$ 4,443.00

It would take me about 7/8 months to get that, then I'll need to upgrade the Ram. X_X By then will there be any change in the G5's or will there be a G6 ?</noob>
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violence
I decided that I'll probably go for a G5.

1.6GHz PowerPC G5
256MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) - 2x128
80GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
4x SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-R)
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
Apple Keyboard + Apple Mouse
Apple Studio Display 17" Flat Panel

Subtotal A$ 4,443.00

It would take me about 7/8 months to get that, then I'll need to upgrade the Ram. X_X By then will there be any change in the G5's or will there be a G6 ?</noob>
Probably not a G6, but by then you'll be able to get a better computer.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Yeah..by then the g5 price will be lower...we won't see a g6 for another 2 years probably...apple usually makes a completely new chip every three years...but they continueally (spelling?) upgrade the current ones....
QUOTE Thanks
Violence

How much of a price drop will there be ?

Also with the new Power Macs, are the displayes upgraded ? Will I still be able to use my one that I get ?
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

the 1.6 isnt worth the G5 price. 1.25 G4 with more RAM would be faster.

also wait to buy it until the updates.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help again | New iBook, tempramental Safari!!! »