New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Doesn't recognize CDRW Disks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

natey

Hi, I'm New. yeah, Yeah, I switched on Friday.

Anyway, my mac has been working so far, except I can't get this CDRW thing to work.

I bought some new CDRW because I thought that I'd be a good idea; So I can transfer text files, etc, from my PC, and just for plain saving things. I put the new disk (Memorex CDRW) into my drive. I wait. Nothing.

I have a superdrive, I double checked, and it should read these disks, right? I went into the disk utility thing, it wont let me do anything to the disk. I don't even know if it's recognizing the disk.

So, what do I do? How does this CDRW thingy work.

I also tried networking my PC and Mac, but it didn't work. Probably because I didn't know what I was doing. LOL.

DVD's work. So does my lyra (RCA). Ok, ok, I don't have iTunes -- I have Lyra Tunes. Hey, I got what I got.

My wireless connection works. I'm using the Dlink Air Extream base. It's not the airport base, but then again, it's about $250 cheaper, and most importantly, it works (and it's the same speed rating: 800.11g, or what ever it's called.) If you deside to use a non-apple wireless router, be aware that not all are 100% compatable with mac, I saw one brand that wasn't. Look at the box.

As for my CDRWs, the box said nothing about being compatable with anything. It just said it works in CDRW drives -- except mine, of course.

I was, however, able to use the earse function in the disk utility program, except it didn't seem to do much. I can't change the name of the drive, nor could I reformat it. I tried it in toast -- toast doesn't even see the disk!

Anyway...I'm rambling now. But if anyone can give me some tips, that'll be helpful. I was expecting, honestly, the disk to just show up on my desktop (like the Lyra MP3-player and DVD does).

--nate

My configs:

Powermac G4 @ 1 Ghz x 15" with Panther (updated), 768 Ram, Combodrive, Airport and bluetooth cards inside. I got it Friday, new. Expencive little thing. I think I've spent $3500 Canadian on this computer so far...

Oh I have MS Word on here too -- just to be sure, word flies on the Mac can be used on the PC, right? And vice versa? I'd need to know, so I can crossplatform (be compatable) with others.

PS I know I can use a CDR -- er, I think anyway, I haven't tried it yet. I think it'd be waste to use so many CDRs...I'm usually saving/backing up text files. Some pictures, things like that. The small and simple things in life.
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

combo drive has some problens recognizing memorex discs.
i had the same problem with combo. you can hear disc spin but it wont mount on desktop
QUOTE Thanks
natey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC-simus
combo drive has some problens recognizing memorex discs.
i had the same problem with combo. you can hear disc spin but it wont mount on desktop
So, is there a solution? Or are there CDRW disks that anyone could recommend, instead?

I've already taken these disks out of the package, so I can't return them; It'd be nice if anyone knew how to mount the disk manually.

thnx,

--nate
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

umm....it should work...call apple......I actually have yet to try memmorex discs on my mac....but they're good discs...so I dont' see why they wouldn't work....
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

memorex discs have problems with combodrive. i do not know the solution. superdrive can read and write without any problems on them but combo cant.
try discs from platinum, or sdk, sony, they worked fine with combo
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Monitors/Routers | G5 »