New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apple.com vs. Reseller - Pros and Cons?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Warren

Warren is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Reefed 2.33Ghz 17" MBP

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to purchasing a system through Apple or a reseller, such as Mac Zone?

I'm looking at a Mac Book Pro, if that helps, and would also like to have Windows installed, for a minimal amount of gaming use.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I don't think there's a huge difference. I'd go with whoever has the better deal for what you're looking for.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

FWIW, I bought my MBP through MacConnection.com. Benefits over Apple.com or the Apple store:

(1) No sales tax (saved me $125) ... Apple.com charges sales tax, at least for things shipped to Maryland. (neither Apple.com nor MacConnection charge for shipping)

(2) Rebate ... MacConnection.com had a $150 rebate on the new MBP that I bought, bringing my total savings to $275.

(3) FAST shipping ... orders entered by 3AM get delivered same-day.

(4) Bundles ... MacConnection.com usually has great bundles you can get when you buy your computer. For example, when I bought mine, you could get a rebate on Parallels for the full price of Parallels as long as you bought the software and computer on the same ticket ... so free Parallels!

However, you can customize your computer at Apple.com, whereas MacConnection only has the basic pre-packaged models. So if you want more memory, different video, bigger hard drive, etc., you would have to either order it through Apple.com or go to your local Apple Store and have them configure it.
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

I bought my iMac from the apple online store because i wanted it configured with specific options. Something you can't really do when you go to an Apple Store or other authorized dealer.
QUOTE Thanks
Warren

Thanks, a lot, guys. I'll be getting a fully-loaded one(configured how I like it). Guess I'll shop around a bit, first. Won't be getting anything 'til after Mac World, just to see if something new will appear.

Another question, do you think Apple Care is really worth it? What with this for, and all, most problems ccan/could be solved here. Well, other than hardware failing and the like. Crap, I partially answered the question... Anyway, what's the general consensus?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Most people will tell you that it is worth it for a laptop since it's such a small enclosure and all.

Me? I always get Apple Care even if I buy desktops (iMacs) 'cause to me feeling protected no matter what happens is priceless. (MasterCard ad *Wink* )
QUOTE Thanks
Warren

I've decided that Apple Care is, definitely, the way to go. Thanks MHC.

Can a moderator change this thread title to "Switching Questions"? I'd rather not start a new thread, each time I have a new question and I'm not able to edit the title myself.(SHOULD'VE THOUGHT ABOUT THAT!)

Anyway, here's another question. How does Front Row catalog multimedia files? Do they need to be on a Mac hard drive or will it recognize files that are on a USB-connected external hard drive, too?
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

As long as the USB HDD is formatted for MacOS or FAT32 it will work just fine. NTFS, however, will not work with MacOS (although you can read from an NTFS formatted drive if it is a network share).

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
Warren

That's great! I have one problem, though, that being my (4) 250GB externals will need a FAT32ing....
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

I don't think you can FAT32 drives that big...I thought the maximum size of FAT32 partitions is 30 GB or something like that.

As far as Front Row is concerned, I have NOT been able to get it to recognize/catalog media on external drives, only specific places on the internal drive. However, if you build your iTunes music database file with movies/music on the external drive, it may find it. Just make sure to turn OFF the iTunes option "copy music/movies to iTunes music folder when played/added to library" otherwise you will find duplicates of all your files wasting space.

Another note on the FAT32 problem...I'm not sure if you could create multiple partitions on EACH of the drives so you don't waste all that space, or if the FAT32 partition table will only allow you to format one partition. Seeing as formatting these drives will require you to erase your data to begin with, and if you don't plan on using these drives with Windows, you'd be much better off formatting Mac OSX Extended (Journaled). If you need to use these drives with Windows still, I recommend formatting them Mac OSX Extended, and buying a little program called Mac Drive for Windows, which will allow Windows to mount a Mac formatted partition.

Hope this helps.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
I don't think you can FAT32 drives that big...I thought the maximum size of FAT32 partitions is 30 GB or something like that.
A FAT32 volume can be up to 8TB in size. My wife's 80G iPod uses FAT32.

Windows places an (unexplained, unjustified) limit on FAT32 partitions when installing the OS but this is a quirk of Windows, not the file system.

Note that one limitation of the FAT32 system is a maximum file size of 4GB; this can be a problem for large video recordings, large databases, etc.

The only reason to use FAT32 is if you need compatibility between both Mac and PC computers with the same external HDD. If you're never going to hook a PC up to the HDD, I'd definitely recommend using the Mac OS Extended filesystem.
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Gotchya, I knew there was a partition size limit on FAT32 somehow, just didn't know it was only there for Windows installations. I also didn't know about the file size limit for FAT32, also good information. So, since FAT32 would work for going back and forth between Windows, I guess there's no need for Mac Drive, unless he wants to format Mac OS Extended.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
Warren

Excellent information, guys! Thanks for it! My goal is to stay with the Mac and not go back to Windows. There is a utility to format my external drives in either FAT32 or NTFS, so that's not a problem. I'm looking at an Iomega 500GB drive that already has FAT32, so I'll just end up copying the ones from the first 250GB NTFS drive, over to that one and so on. This'll work, won't it?

Also, the 4GB limit, does that pertain only to the individual files or to the folders that contain them, as well?

Another thing, what's this OS Extended thing you're talking about?
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

You can copy files from an NTFS volume to a FAT32 volume without problem (assuming you don't try to copy a file >4Gb in size).

The 4Gb limit is for the individual files. A folder doesn't actually "contain" all the files inside it, it's just a placeholder for the file system.

You can read more about the OS Extended filesystem at this wikipedia listing.
QUOTE Thanks
Warren

Thanks Todd. I think FAT32 should work for now. That HFS+ business is a bit over my head, at this point!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Brand new MacBook . . . Problem with iPhoto | Database software for Mac & Windows Mobile »