New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Noticeable internet slowdown of late

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jeffnewc

jeffnewc is on a distinguished road

Let me start by saying I made the switch on December 14th and love it. I have a 20 imac and love everything it can do. One problem I have recently though is a noticeable slowdown in the internet and how wwebpages stall awhile at the begining then load. It did not do this the first week or so but does now. I tried another browser camino, just to see if it was the same it was. I never shut off the imac i let it sleep, could this be a problem?

Also I have dsl and a wireless modem with it that the imac found right away and works great with. Have any suggestions? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

It sounds like it's a network problem, and nothing to do with your Mac hardware or software. Have you got another machine you can check with?
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Try the following:
1. Turn off the imac and unplug the dsl modem and wireless modem.
2. Plug the DSL modem in and wait until the lights stop blinking.
3. Plug the wireless modem in and wait 2-3 minutes.
4. Boot the iMac up.
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

jeffnewc, there have been several posts here and also in other places on the internet. I have experienced the same problems that I think you have mentioned, what seems to help is to make sure that you empty Safari's cache and clear up the history.

There was one other suggestion that I read here that seems to have helped. The suggestion was to change the permissions of icons folder to read only, this folder is found under user>>library>>safari>>icons.

Hope this helps seems to work for me.
QUOTE Thanks
cvx5832

cvx5832 is on a distinguished road

If you're open to using Firefox, turn on pipelining and you will never have a slow loading page again.

However this holiday season I have noticed a slight slowdown in the websurfing experience - work or home.
QUOTE Thanks
jeffnewc

jeffnewc is on a distinguished road

I tried the changing permissions on the folder didnt notice much difference. Then I downloaded firefox, wow big help it is a lot faster thanks guys for all the suggestions!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Other things that help Safari... Besides locking the icons folder, emptying the cache helps a whole lot as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Differences between G3 and G4 processors | iMac starts up with Garageband up- why? »