New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Comparison

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Forum will not maintain spacing I set up, but you will get the point.

Putting this up in this forum, because as a newb to MAC, this is the kind of info I like to read about.

Let me say also that as a long time gamer, my current desktop machine is the first computer I have had for longer than a year. It will be 3 years old in Feb. As many of you long time computer geeks know, that is about when processor capabilties really slowed to a crawl in comparison to what we had been seeing for years.

Decided to back up a dual layer DVD to a single layer disk since this is really time consuming. The equipment:
System 1) MacBook Pro: 2.33 Core2Duo, 2 Gig running OS X
System 2) The same - running XP Pro via Bootcamp
System 3) My 3 year old homebuilt desktop with a P4 3.4 Ghz running at stock speed, 1 Gig top end Corsair

Video card shouldn't have any factor here but for those that may wonder they are fairly equivalent, the ATI X1600 w/256 and an ATI X800 XL w/256
And of course the SuperDrive in the MBP, says it is burning at 6x; and 3 year old burner in my desktop, maxes out at 4x for DVD -R.

So for the time comparisons:

System 1) Mack the Ripper - 1 hour 1 minute, gave up here and did no more on this system. For those that don't know, at this point you only have a ripped DVD and you still are going to need to re-encode to get it to fit the single layer disk.

System 2) DVD Shrink - low grade analysis and encode - 26 minutes
- deep analysis and encode - 47 minutes
- burn disk at 6x with Nero - 18min 20sec

System 3) DVD Shrink - low grade analysis and encode - 13 minutes
- deep analysis and encode - 25 minutes
- burn disk at 4x with Nero - 14min 42 sec

Other interesting Notes: Top speed measured during analysis
System 2 System 3
Rate 4531 KB/s 8133 KB/s
Analysis frames/second 129.1 266.5

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Just in case you were wondering, a week in, and I still love my Mac.
Definitely, not givin it up for a Dell or HP.

QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

You are definitely right on ripping DVD's. My solution right now is rip them on my PC to a USB 2.0 external drive, then encode to MP4 on my mac (Handbrake has performed flawlessly thusfar, and takes only a minute or so longer than the PC... it's the rip from DVD to HDD that the mac suffers).

I think a lot of it, at least in my case, is that I'm comparing a desktop with a lapop (mac mini)... with laptop components (5400RPM HDD), so it isn't a very fair comparison.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemm View Post
You are definitely right on ripping DVD's. My solution right now is rip them on my PC to a USB 2.0 external drive, then encode to MP4 on my mac (Handbrake has performed flawlessly thusfar, and takes only a minute or so longer than the PC... it's the rip from DVD to HDD that the mac suffers).

I think a lot of it, at least in my case, is that I'm comparing a desktop with a lapop (mac mini)... with laptop components (5400RPM HDD), so it isn't a very fair comparison.
Why are you ripping to the desktop and then using Handbrake? I usually, with a few exceptions, rip directly from the DVD.

Also, what are you using to rip to the desktop? MTR can usually rip a fill 7 Gb DVD to my desktop in 15-20 min max.

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

I sometimes rip direct from my Windows share.
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Why are you ripping to the desktop and then using Handbrake? I usually, with a few exceptions, rip directly from the DVD.

Also, what are you using to rip to the desktop? MTR can usually rip a fill 7 Gb DVD to my desktop in 15-20 min max.
I'm ripping using dual-pass @ 1000Kbps, mainly for viewing on my comp and export to the TV. It's reasonably quick to rip from DVD to HDD in a smaller resolution and lower quality for iPod, but it is a near 2 hour process to do this on the Mac at higher resolution.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemm View Post
Think you are right, one of the other items I compared was processor usage. My desktop was zipping along between 65 & 100%, probably averaging 80-90. The MBP was only running about 25% and occasionally hitting maybe 35%. DVD Shrink is quite capable of using multiple processors, so think this would have to be related to the read & write time of the hard drive.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Also keep in mind that MTR 2.6.6 is not a Universal Binary. It's running in emulation on your Mac so that may account for some of the slowdown. I can tell you that 2.6.6 will use all of the processor power it can get on my quad and will average up to 75% on all 4 processors simultaneously.

I believe the forthcoming MTR 3.0 will be Universal so performance on the Intel Macs should increase.

QUOTE Thanks
goyin

goyin is on a distinguished road

Totally... With MacTheRipper v3 the whole thing is worlds faster. Don't know which movie you tried to rip. The Simpsons Movie (little less than 6 gig) was copied in 23 minutes. I guess the largest DVD-DL should take no more than 50 min. Then recompressed it using toast, that took about 25 min. C'm ONNNNN!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

over 2 yr old post - looks like I didn't even know the difference between MAC and Mac yet. lol

btw, between mtr 3 and a 7200 rpm drive that 1 hour and 1 min time is down to 23 1/2 minutes.
still twice as long as DVDShrink on my now 5 yr old P4 though since it rips and re-encodes to fit on a single layer disk in that same period of time.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wallpaper resolution | Unable to Remove Microsoft Office 2004: "You Do Not Have Permissions" »