New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Got my macbook 2 months ago now a small crack is forming at the base

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Virusyn

Virusyn is an unknown at this point

Hi,
I got a white macbook about 2 months ago and so far has been nothing but good things to say about this. Today when I was cleaning my macbook I noticed a tiny crack forming at the bottom of my macbook, now I'm pretty ******. I take good of my laptop its always in a sleeve in my note book bag. It has never been dropped. What can I do??? I have attached a pic, im pretty upset at the moment, I thought this thing was to be somewhat durable. I dont want this crack to spread, will my warranty cover this? :radioacti
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

you should be able to take it right in.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Virusyn

Hi,
I bought it online, can I just take it into the nearest apple store? This is my only laptop, what is the turn around time for this
QUOTE Thanks
benzslrpee

benzslrpee will become famous soon enough

yep, even if you bought it online you can still take it in. as for turn around time...you'll have to ask them
QUOTE Thanks
Virusyn

kool so this should be covered under my warranty still. I was worried for a moment, now I'm just worried about the turn around time.
QUOTE Thanks
macbookdabest

macbookdabest has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!

what is the case of the macbook made of
probably some cheap plastic
im scared now that mine might crack
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virusyn View Post
kool so this should be covered under my warranty still. I was worried for a moment, now I'm just worried about the turn around time.
If you live not-too-far from the nearest apple store, go in and discuss the option of keeping your MacBook until the new case arrives.

If you can't part with your Mac as you use it daily then they may accommodate your request.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookdabest View Post
what is the case of the macbook made of
probably some cheap plastic
im scared now that mine might crack

actually it's not, so this crack is really pretty surprising.

its supposed to be polycarbonate, which is actually very strong. dyson uses it for a few of it's products and i've got one of them (a dc07 - the yellow vaccuum), and i can tell you, it's is really tough. as i understand it, it's used for riot shields as well. though there are probably different grades or strengths.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Virusyn

I was suprised by the crack too, but I think this is something I should definitley take in and let my warranty sort it out. I live 15 minutes from the University Mac Store and see no reason why I should wait for it to get worse. Thoughts? do I just go up to the counter with my reciept and they will take of the rest? thanks for the help guys
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virusyn View Post
Thoughts? do I just go up to the counter with my reciept and they will take of the rest? thanks for the help guys
Yes, thats pretty much it.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

take it in straight away. take ur reciept or some documentation.

with my apple care they just looked it up on the computers.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Sounds like a defect in the case material. Being that you're within the first few weeks of ownership, I would insist upon a replacement. It should be very simple for the nearest Apple store to simply swap your hard disk into another unit. I wouldn't settle for a repair job that will likely take at least a few days to get parts in, complete disassembly and reassembly for a machine that is practically brand new.
QUOTE Thanks
Virusyn

Hi I just looked at my reciept turns out it has been almost 3 months. What are there criteria for direct replacement. Also I replaced my 2x512 with 2x1gb ram, if they directly replace it will I still get my ram back. I already sold my 512 sticks. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
eric

i would guess that if they have to swap the chassis, you could tell them you would like them to move your memory and hard drive.

they may be able to just swap the cover, but i'm not sure how that all fits together. just letting them know will be your best bet. that wouldn't have caused this, so it wouldn't void the basic 1yr warranty.

QUOTE Thanks
Virusyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
i would guess that if they have to swap the chassis, you could tell them you would like them to move your memory and hard drive.

they may be able to just swap the cover, but i'm not sure how that all fits together. just letting them know will be your best bet. that wouldn't have caused this, so it wouldn't void the basic 1yr warranty.
kool I will talk to them about it when they reopen, I will report back thanks for all the help guys and gals
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac starts up with Garageband up- why? | Music Videos »