New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Am I a total spaz? There's no backspace key?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rcronin

rcronin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen

Okay, my new (lovely, beautiful ) MacBook has no backspace key? Am I lost or do I have to learn to do without? I'm a bit addicted to the backspace key, ya'll. LOL.

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

fn (lower left hand corner) and delete.

actually delete is backspace, and fn+delete is delete (ahead).

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

All mac users are perfect typers and make 0% error.

jk, but the backspace is basically the delete key where a typical backspace would be.
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

rcronin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen

Okay, thanks, I am a spaz. How could I not have noticed that?! You two just made my week! Now, how was I supposed to figure out the fn+delete key thing? I need a "new Mac users for the clueless guide". I've checked out the switches guides, etc, here and they are very helpful don't get me wrong. But you can guess where I'm starting at if I can't find the delete and backspace keys. And no, I'm not over 65 yrs old, lol. I have to chuckle a bit at the advice to download 3rd party software and check my harddrive space when I can't even figure out how to toggle between open windows and why things keep disappearing off the dock. Good thing I look at all this as a challenge.

BTW, your two siggy lines really made me smile. Mine is so dorky. I have no imagination.

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Welcome Becky!! I'm pretty new to macs myself. It's fun learning something new everyday with my macbook

Enjoy!

QUOTE Thanks
wickedticket

wickedticket is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2GHz 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Disk

Thanks for this tip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
fn (lower left hand corner) and delete.

actually delete is backspace, and fn+delete is delete (ahead).

I guess I have too much Windows in me, I make enough mistakes for all of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWonder View Post
All mac users are perfect typers and make 0% error.

jk, but the backspace is basically the delete key where a typical backspace would be.

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And Becky give this from Apple a glance:-

Apple - Support - Mac 101

Cheers from Down Under!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
NashvegasMatt

NashvegasMatt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12GB of RAM, 27", dual core

it happens

if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

This thread has 33,000+ views. Very interesting, even though it's an old thread.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
This thread has 33,000+ views. Very interesting, even though it's an old thread.
33,000+ people must've been very annoyed when they got their Mac. I can just picture it.

"Hey! My keyboard is broken! Apple forgot the backspace key!"
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2GHz 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Disk

Well, I'm a noob Mac user and I read most of the posts in the Swtcher Hangout looking for gems like this one. i was disappointed when I realized the MBP did not have both backspace and delete.

What I miss most about a Win7 computer is the Windows key + an arrow key. THis puts the active window on the right, left, top or bottom of the screen.(depending on the arrow pressed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
33,000+ people must've been very annoyed when they got their Mac. I can just picture it.

"Hey! My keyboard is broken! Apple forgot the backspace key!"

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

Another option is to get the full size external keyboard. It has both back delete and forward delete keys. Very nice if you'll be trying to boot Windows for any reason. Maybe this'll help the next 33,000 readers !
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I miss alt - tab, probably a way and im probably too dumb to figure it out. | First post from the new MBP. »