New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac - iMac or Mini?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marcfaubel

marcfaubel is on a distinguished road

I'm a little torn about which machine to get. I will use just for basic home computing and am not to worried about speed etc. I like the iMac but my major concern is what happens when the hard drive/cpu sputters out and dies? Can I upgrade the HD and processor since the monitor still works? I look at an iMac similar to the the TV/VCR combos...The TV screens last a lot longer that the moving parts (VCR) that are included.

So I guess a few questions
What is the lifespan of an iMac?
What is the lifespan of an Apple monitor?
What is the lifespan of the Mini?

I know that the Mini and the Monitor will be more expensive but after the mini goes down in a few years, i'll still have a working monitor that I can buy a new mini for. When the iMac goes down, I have to get a whole new package, screen and cpu.

Thanks,
Marc
QUOTE Thanks
Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

They would last about the same, and I wouldn't worry, most people still use iMacs coming up to 10years old and have never ever had a glitch.

MacMinis are not very easy to get into, because you have to get into them with a knife. iMacs you can get into and upgrade easy.

iMacs are a much better choice, and IF, just IF your display goes (VERY UNLIKELY, you can order a new one to go inside it or plug in an external one, which you could put in front of the iMac.

The iMac is better value and has better upgrade prospects & is easier to access.
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

If I had bought an iMac instead of the Mini I wouldn't be thinking of upgrading every day.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

if the display does go in the imac then it should be covered by warranty. the iMac will be able to cope with new programs etc for longer as it already has better specs than the mac mini. Let us know what you decide on
QUOTE Thanks
marcfaubel

marcfaubel is on a distinguished road

i'm leaning more towards the imac right now. just hoping that the HD and the processers dont crap out before the monitor.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I officially call this switch..... complete! | New Website »