New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

My new Macbook!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

biggpopa

biggpopa is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone!

Just got my first mac. I've been a pc guy for the last 20 years. I'm a system administrator, that just got bored of the pc world, and decided to switch. I ended up buying the 1.83Ghz macbook core duo (refurb). I ordered it on Dec. 25, and received on Dec. 28 (10am). I can't believe how quickly it came. On top of that, they sent me a 2.0 ghz with 80Gb harddrive. I'm loving the guys at apple!

Well, enough with my blabbing. My question is : I have VPN access for work on my pc. Is it possible to use VPN software through parallels, once I install xp? I need it for work, but I'm not sure how flexible parallels is.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Congrats on the new acquisition!

You might not need to use the Windows side to connect. Windows - Join the network:

Quote:
Stay Connected with VPN
Many employers now let you work from home and use a DSL or cable modem to connect to the corporate network in order to collaborate with your colleagues over email or share files. But to protect the network from unwanted guests, companies often create a virtual private network (VPN), which requires additional software and configuration. Mac OS X Tiger is VPN-ready right out of the box and even supports VPN on demand, which connects and disconnects securely to the network as needed. ...
Worse case scenario would be for you to check out these apps so you could work natively in Mac OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Yeah, you likely won't even need Windows to connect to your VPN.

I would suggest using the Mac without installing Windows on it for at least a month. That way, you actually get a chance to learn the Mac OS without that "crutch".
:black:

After all, you were bored with Windows and decided to get a Mac... what's with the big rush to install Windows so soon? :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
biggpopa

biggpopa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Yeah, you likely won't even need Windows to connect to your VPN.

I would suggest using the Mac without installing Windows on it for at least a month. That way, you actually get a chance to learn the Mac OS without that "crutch".
:black:

After all, you were bored with Windows and decided to get a Mac... what's with the big rush to install Windows so soon? :black:
Good to know. Thanks for the advise. I'll play around with the VPN function in mac o/s.
QUOTE Thanks
BuzWeaver

BuzWeaver will become famous soon enough

Congrats on your purchase. :bushman:
QUOTE Thanks
plusfortyfour

plusfortyfour is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD

Congratulations. I am a recent "switcher" as well. I am still learning but I am getting used to it. I got a the Core 2 Duo Macbook for Christmas and I think its the best gift I ever got.
QUOTE Thanks
spidoman

spidoman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz macbook, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD.

Just got my macbook yesterday. First mac since my apple 2e. So far I love it. Everything is nice and easy. Only complaint I have so far is that stuff gets lost at times, windows and such. some windows I close take too many clicks to get back. But minor complaints so far. I'll be putting vista on it very soon as well.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

welcome and good luck with your new macbook!

here's the boilerplate...

a few apps to check out:
unison - great newsreader/binary downloader if you need that sort of thing.

onyx - excellent maintenance tool, great for cache maintenance and tweaking preferences

delocalizer - will free up a couple gigs of space by removing extra language support if you don't need it (i recovered about 2.8Gb).

also, these threads are fun for anecdotal reference:
A quick summary of my problems. Read this if you're a new switcher!

Switchers, what do you love most about your new Mac?

switchers - top 5 things you don't miss!

Feelings of Apple Disillusionment

A switcher's guide to OS X Software

macbook games
what games are working on your macbook

macbook hard drive space
check this thread out
QUOTE Thanks
thefarpavllions

thefarpavllions is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.16GHz

Wow thanks Eric, DeLocalizer freed up like 3gigs on my HD, I never even thought about stuff like that.

NEVERMIND ABOUT THIS

15" Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro = Love
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

cheers!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail question | Is it really that easy? »