New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

My New Mac Pro Burner Issue Story

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macavity

Macavity is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2GB RAM/2x500GB HD/x1900 Video

Hey y'all, another new switcher here.

My new Mac Pro is only two weeks old, and I had to call AppleCare on Christmas Day to resolve a problem I had burning any discs. I would insert a CD or DVD, follow the prompt to open it in Finder, then get a "Disc is unrecognizable" error. So, after trying every type of blank CD and DVD I had in the house and trying an external burner I have, I finally called for help.

The first agent I got walked me through a few reboots and such and finally told me I was going to need to erase and reinstall. Ugh. Well, I wanted to make sure I had everything backed up right, so I told him I'd call back when I was ready.

The second agent wasn't ready to throw in the towel. He had me reboot a few times with the blank disc already in the drive, therefore bypassing the Finder prompt. We jumped into iTunes, and tada...drive burned without a hitch. Hmmmm...ok, no burner problem, gotta be a problem with Finder. So, looks like I'm back to erase and reinstall.

Not so fast, he says. He asks me if I want to try something experimental. Since my only other option was a complete reinstall, I agreed to try anything.

Well, to make a long story just a tad shorter, he had me trash the Finder Scripts in the Library. After rebooting, Finder burned like a champ.

Cool.

Now to my question (if you lasted this long), since I'm still an Apple newbie, is anything else gonna be messed up since I deleted those scripts? I haven't noticed anything not working right, but I'm not sure I should. Just wondering.

Anyhow, loving the new Mac and can't believe I waited so long to switch.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You will be fine. When pref files like that are "trashed", they simply rewrite fresh, clean ones upon rebooting/relaunching. Trashing them only gets rid of the corrupted ones.
Just goes to show you that reinstalling should always be the absolute last thing to consider when things go wrong with OS X. This ain't Windows and the "Slash and Burn" technique of reformatting/reinstalling does not apply here. :black:
It is almost never needed and only wastes time and trouble when doing so.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

Yay for persistent service techs!

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
Macavity

Macavity is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2GB RAM/2x500GB HD/x1900 Video

Sweet. Just what I wanted to hear.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« file sharing on a mac | Mac Pro coming in Jan - Which OSX will i get? »