Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    flaggg
    Guest
    MacPro hw compatability
    I'd consider myself very technically inclined (I primarily use Linux at work/home), and am considering getting a MacPro for home. I'm wanting a Mac for OSX and my laziness to deal with the problems Windows gives me. What is the upgradabilty of these systems?

    RAM: Can I drop any 667MHz DDR2 buffered ECC DIMM like a normal PC and have it work, or is there a technical limitation that requires me to buy "Mac-Approved" memory? Are there any lists of memory that are known to work?

    Video cards: I haven't looked at the specs in too much detail but I'm pretty sure my GeForce 7800GT is quite a bit faster than the 7300gt that comes with the MacPro. I don't think I'm going to have much luck, but can I use this?

    HDDs: I don't think theres anything special in the HDD department, but if there is I want to know!

    Displays: I currently have 2x Dell 24" LCDs I'd be using on the computer. I'm using them via DVI@1920x1200 - if I can't use these monitors with it it'd be a real killer, but it looks like the 7300 shouldn't have a problem with this.

    How well does OSX handle dual displays? I'm not all that impressed with how Windows deals with multihead, although in Linux it's a dream to work with. Does OSX handle snapping and window placement and whatnot correctly? Am I going to cry when some boneheaded developer that writes software on a singlehead system goes crazy with dual monitors (I'm looking at you, fullscreen PC games!)?

  2. #2
    MacPro hw compatability

    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    741
    Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
    any ram that is the right kind will fit. it doesnt have to be apple ram. dont know too much about ther graphics cards. you can fit 4 750 gb hdds in a macpro. you can use any display you want.

  3. #3
    MacPro hw compatability
    baggss's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 10, 2004
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,310
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggg View Post
    RAM: Can I drop any 667MHz DDR2 buffered ECC DIMM like a normal PC and have it work, or is there a technical limitation that requires me to buy "Mac-Approved" memory? Are there any lists of memory that are known to work?
    Yes, any RAM will work. I buy mine at FRYs or on-line.

    Quote Originally Posted by flaggg View Post
    Video cards: I haven't looked at the specs in too much detail but I'm pretty sure my GeForce 7800GT is quite a bit faster than the 7300gt that comes with the MacPro. I don't think I'm going to have much luck, but can I use this?
    This is an area where you want to be careful. You either need to buy a card that says Mac compatible or be ready to re-flash a card to be Mac compatible.

    Quote Originally Posted by flaggg View Post
    HDDs: I don't think theres anything special in the HDD department, but if there is I want to know!
    Any SATA-3 compatible drive should do. I prefer Western Digital or Maxtor, but that's me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flaggg View Post
    Displays: I currently have 2x Dell 24" LCDs I'd be using on the computer. I'm using them via DVI@1920x1200 - if I can't use these monitors with it it'd be a real killer, but it looks like the 7300 shouldn't have a problem with this.
    You should be ok with this one. I think the stock cards will do dual DVI, but I'd check first.

    Quote Originally Posted by flaggg View Post
    How well does OSX handle dual displays? I'm not all that impressed with how Windows deals with multihead, although in Linux it's a dream to work with. Does OSX handle snapping and window placement and whatnot correctly? Am I going to cry when some boneheaded developer that writes software on a singlehead system goes crazy with dual monitors (I'm looking at you, fullscreen PC games!)?
    Never done it, so I can't say, sorry.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Compatability
    By Scottjo in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2015, 08:03 AM
  2. megameetings compatability
    By davidr342 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 05:21 AM
  3. megameetings compatability
    By davidr342 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 08:45 AM
  4. MacPro 3.2ghz vs MacPro 2009 2.92ghz Nehalem CPU
    By crtvmac in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 03:24 PM
  5. iBook compatability 10.3 or 10.4?
    By graduatestud in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2006, 06:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •