New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Looking for reference book(s) for my first Macbook - Gulp!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macker

Macker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 80 GB

Hi all. I'm a 2 day old Macbook user :confused: and I have no clue about my new laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good reference book or books that may help me find the light? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

My first recommendation to any new OSX user is Mac OSX Tiger: The Missing Manual.

It's not the sort of book you would sit down to read cover-to-cover, but it's so well-written that it's saved me a bunch of head-scratching and surfing for answers. As a reference guide it's wonderful.

My second recommendation is this forum. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

This very forum has a multitude of great information and insight into the world of Mac. I assure you that just about any question you could think of asking has already been asked and answered many times over.
I would advise you to bookmark this forum for your Mac needs and questions

If you are still looking for a book, then I would reccomend David Pogue's "OS X: The Missing Manual".
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome here, Macker! Please feel free to ask any questions you might have about Mac OS X and your spankin' new MacBook.

One book that you might help you is Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition by David Pogue.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
One book that you might help you is Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition by David Pogue.
This is the book I bought when I got my MBP, and it was very helpful. It specifically addressed issues like key combination translations (learning the Mac was from the WinXP way), transfering files from the PC to the new Mac, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i got the rough guide to mac osX.

decent book, but i really don't think i learned much in that book that i couldn't have learned here.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
This is the book I bought when I got my MBP, and it was very helpful. It specifically addressed issues like key combination translations (learning the Mac was from the WinXP way), transfering files from the PC to the new Mac, etc.
Yeah recently we had a diehard Windows user/friend switch to an iMac (Intel-based) and the poor woman kept complaining how Windows did this and did that, blahblahblah. We got a bit tired to hear the unfounded complaints (unfounded because it's not because the Mac doesn't do the stuff she was talking about, it did it differently... I mean we couldn't blame the Mac because of this user's - our friend's - ignorance). So we recommended this book to her.

She is now a very happy camper!
QUOTE Thanks
Macker

Macker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 80 GB

Thanks so much for everyone's help. I wanted to pick up a book so that I take it with me when I'm waiting for 3 hours in my doctor's office. Not so easy to surf the net in there.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

well hopefully that doctor's visit isn't for anything too serious...

and welcome to the forums (didn't say it earlier)!
QUOTE Thanks

12991 is on a distinguished road

What are some of the discrepancies people are having between the two OS's?? I just got mine today, and Ive learned a whole lot. What are some interesting things I may have not known, I would love to get the book and read it, but I have way too many others to read, and Im just to lazy to read those lol... so i dont want to add another book to the pile.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

12991, check these threads, you'll find lots of great info, much to do with the differences in the OSs, and some of the difficulties of switchers and other new mac users...

A quick summary of my problems. Read this if you're a new switcher!

Switchers, what do you love most about your new Mac?

switchers - top 5 things you don't miss!

Feelings of Apple Disillusionment

A switcher's guide to OS X Software
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 1 month old Macbook stopped getting AC power | Three Questions from new mac user: itunes, external drive, shortcuts »