Specs:
    13.3" White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 80 GB
    Looking for reference book(s) for my first Macbook - Gulp!!!
    Hi all. I'm a 2 day old Macbook user :confused: and I have no clue about my new laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good reference book or books that may help me find the light? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" iPhone 7 iPad Air and many iPods
    My first recommendation to any new OSX user is Mac OSX Tiger: The Missing Manual.

It's not the sort of book you would sit down to read cover-to-cover, but it's so well-written that it's saved me a bunch of head-scratching and surfing for answers. As a reference guide it's wonderful.

My second recommendation is this forum. :-)

Specs:
    MacBook

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

MacHeadCase
    Welcome here, Macker! Please feel free to ask any questions you might have about Mac OS X and your spankin' new MacBook.

One book that you might help you is Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition by David Pogue.

Quote Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
    One book that you might help you is Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition by David Pogue.
    This is the book I bought when I got my MBP, and it was very helpful. It specifically addressed issues like key combination translations (learning the Mac was from the WinXP way), transfering files from the PC to the new Mac, etc.

i got the rough guide to mac osX.

decent book, but i really don't think i learned much in that book that i couldn't have learned here.

MacHeadCase
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    This is the book I bought when I got my MBP, and it was very helpful. It specifically addressed issues like key combination translations (learning the Mac was from the WinXP way), transfering files from the PC to the new Mac, etc.
    Yeah recently we had a diehard Windows user/friend switch to an iMac (Intel-based) and the poor woman kept complaining how Windows did this and did that, blahblahblah. We got a bit tired to hear the unfounded complaints (unfounded because it's not because the Mac doesn't do the stuff she was talking about, it did it differently... I mean we couldn't blame the Mac because of this user's - our friend's - ignorance). So we recommended this book to her.

She is now a very happy camper!

Specs:
    13.3" White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 80 GB
    Thanks so much for everyone's help. I wanted to pick up a book so that I take it with me when I'm waiting for 3 hours in my doctor's office. Not so easy to surf the net in there.

well hopefully that doctor's visit isn't for anything too serious...

and welcome to the forums (didn't say it earlier)!

What are some of the discrepancies people are having between the two OS's?? I just got mine today, and Ive learned a whole lot. What are some interesting things I may have not known, I would love to get the book and read it, but I have way too many others to read, and Im just to lazy to read those lol... so i dont want to add another book to the pile.

12991, check these threads, you'll find lots of great info, much to do with the differences in the OSs, and some of the difficulties of switchers and other new mac users...

A quick summary of my problems. Read this if you're a new switcher!

Switchers, what do you love most about your new Mac?

switchers - top 5 things you don't miss!

Feelings of Apple Disillusionment

A switcher's guide to OS X Software

Thread Information