Open Firmware Activated?
    I think I have installed the Open Firmware Password feature on my MBP. How do I confirm that it really is on. I inserted the disc and clicked the Open firmware icon. It asked me a password and that was it. When I restart the computer it justs boots up like always (it asks my login password and thats it). Is there a way that I can verify that it is on? one more thing is there a widget or an app that will display my temps for CPU, GPU, perhaps even Battery, I've have seen them somewhere.

Thanks for reading!

twin cities, mn, usa
    i have no idea what you're talking about in regards to "open firmware password".

i do have an app for you for temp monitoring...

temperature monitor

it's not a widget, but it's slick. i have mine to start on startup. it doesn't open a new window, but it does put an icon in the dock and displays a reading in your menu bar (might be a pref you need to switch on, can't rememeber if it did that by default).

MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
    Intel Macs do not use Open Firmware, instead using EFI. There is (so I am told) an 'open firmware password' utility that actually sets an EFI password. To check that it's really turned on, press and hold 'option' when turning on the machine. This will prompt for a password to access the startup manager.

One thing the password doesn't seem to block is normal boot - it's more to prevent 'maintenance' boots (resetting PRAM, booting from CD). In this regard, it's nothing like the 'BIOS password' on PCs.

More info here:

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by cad2blender View Post
    one more thing is there a widget or an app that will display my temps for CPU, GPU, perhaps even Battery, I've have seen them somewhere.

Thanks for reading!
    Applications - Utitlities - Activity Monitor, Drag it to your dock for quick access
    for temps go to dashboard and start up ministat 2 - provides a lot of info also

battery info should be on the menu bar already, but is also in ministat2
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Information