New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Questions from probable switcher on email, treo, etc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RT21093

Greetings
I am thinking seriously about making the switch when I start my new job in January and getting a .mac membership
1. With Mac mail, can you import email- I would like to keep the mac mail account for my personal email and import my work email (a Netscape mail service) to Mac mail. This way I can hopefully just use iAddress and iCal for both work and home and just open one email account (please advise if this is doable)
2. If above scenario possible, will it then be possible to use a Treo (with Palm operating system) to sync with above and get both home and work emails
3. Can I do all this and still use the Mac applications- I really do not want to use Entourage as I am not a big fan of Outlook- however I am definitely open to suggestions
Thanks in advance for your answers
RT
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

1 - Yes

2 - Not that I know of, but I have not tried with my 700P

3 - With the posable exception of #2, yes.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
1 - Yes

2 - Not that I know of, but I have not tried with my 700P

3 - With the posable exception of #2, yes.
Not to hijack this thread, but while we're on the subject of email, I have a real quick question. I use a freeware application on XP called "POP Peeper" that runs in the system tray and simultaneously checks all of my POP3 and web-based email accounts (Yahoo, GMail, etc.) for new mail. Is there a similar application on the Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
thefarky

thefarky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but while we're on the subject of email, I have a real quick question. I use a freeware application on XP called "POP Peeper" that runs in the system tray and simultaneously checks all of my POP3 and web-based email accounts (Yahoo, GMail, etc.) for new mail. Is there a similar application on the Mac?
cwa107, I know that Google provides an application similar to that for GMail:

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/not...ifier_mac.html
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarky View Post
cwa107, I know that Google provides an application similar to that for GMail:

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/not...ifier_mac.html
Thanks, I've seen that. Unfortunately, it only checks Gmail accounts. I know there is a Java-based app called MrPostman that acts as an intermediary between any POP3 mail application and web-based mail systems, but it is cumbersome and difficult to configure. Hopefully I'll find something more robust than that for OS X, otherwise there's always that option.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
You can just set up mail to get it all. Mine checks my gmail every 2 min along with the rest of my mail.

QUOTE Thanks
boneheadz

boneheadz will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT21093 View Post
Greetings
I am thinking seriously about making the switch when I start my new job in January and getting a .mac membership
1. With Mac mail, can you import email- I would like to keep the mac mail account for my personal email and import my work email (a Netscape mail service) to Mac mail. This way I can hopefully just use iAddress and iCal for both work and home and just open one email account (please advise if this is doable)
2. If above scenario possible, will it then be possible to use a Treo (with Palm operating system) to sync with above and get both home and work emails
3. Can I do all this and still use the Mac applications- I really do not want to use Entourage as I am not a big fan of Outlook- however I am definitely open to suggestions
RT

I don't see why 2. wouldn't be possible. (or do you mean push email) I think that the tree allows multiple accounts and you should be able to check with the treo either buy sync, wireless or OTA.

bone
QUOTE Thanks
Aubie16

Aubie16 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT21093 View Post
Greetings

RT
I don't know about syncing with .mac as I don't have an account. But you can use the built in bluetooth technology on your new mac to sync with your treo wirelessly. I have a Treo 700w and this program works great to back-up and sync all my data.

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_windowsmobile.php

That is the program I used to make this possible. it works great.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Me Find A Perfect Match | Purchasing advice for new Mac users »