New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Ok... I'm sure this is a dumb question...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thedespair

thedespair is on a distinguished road

Ok, tried searching for this and couldn't find it anywhere, so here goes:

I just bought a used iMac G4 (700MHz). I haven't received the computer yet, but I thought I'd be proactive and purchase the wireless card for it, so that it was ready to go when the computer arrived. I chatted online with one of the Apple website people, who assured me that I could purchase an Airport card for my iMac. So, I ordered a refurbed Airport Extreme card, because that's the only one I could find on the website.

Now, looking on Apple's website at the specs for the computer, it lists it as "Airport Ready" and says it's "802.11b compatible."

Since the Airport Extreme card is an 802.11g card, are they compatible? I know that in the PC world they are, but I'm completely new to Macs and I'm just trying to make sure I bought the right card.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I think the airport extreme is a b/g card not just a g... put the card in and see if it works, if not return it.

good luck with your new mac! and welcome to mac-forums.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

welcome thedespair
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

802.11g is backwards compatible with 802.11b.

If you have a 802.11g router, the 802.11b built in to the iMac will be able to talk to the router (of access point, or other 802.11b/g systems) without any problem, limited only by the 802.11b bandwidth (11Mbps).

Swtiching to an 802.11g card for your iMac will increase the potential throughput (to 54Mbps), but you will only really notice this when communicating between two 802.11g devices. Most people have an internet connection that is no faster than the 802.11b 11Mbps speed, so switching to 802.11g won't make the internet go any faster for you as a rule.
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the Forums!

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

welcome to the forums. if it doesnt work then return it and let us know if you find an alternative.
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

My educated guess in the matter is that when the G4 machine was released the wireless standard was 802.11b, therefore it was listed as 802.11b compliant. Since then 802.11g has become the standard, but as previously stated, 802.11b/g work together, limited by the lowest standard (ie. 802.11g card, 802.11b router = 802.11b).

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Um...a 700MHz G4 iMac can take an AirPort card, but not an AirPort Extreme card.

The AirPort slot is PC-card based. The AirPort Extreme card is PCI-card based. The problem has nothing to do with the compatibility of the wireless standards, and everything to do with the connectors on the cards themselves.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

thanks for the info technologist

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
thedespair

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Um...a 700MHz G4 iMac can take an AirPort card, but not an AirPort Extreme card.

The AirPort slot is PC-card based. The AirPort Extreme card is PCI-card based. The problem has nothing to do with the compatibility of the wireless standards, and everything to do with the connectors on the cards themselves.

(*sighs*) Oh well. I was a afraid of that. Does anyone know where I can find an original Airport card?

Oh, and thank you all for your help... It's exciting to finally be part of the Mac community!
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedespair View Post
Ok, tried searching for this and couldn't find it anywhere, so here goes:

I just bought a used iMac G4 (700MHz). I haven't received the computer yet, but I thought I'd be proactive and purchase the wireless card for it, so that it was ready to go when the computer arrived. I chatted online with one of the Apple website people, who assured me that I could purchase an Airport card for my iMac. So, I ordered a refurbed Airport Extreme card, because that's the only one I could find on the website.

Now, looking on Apple's website at the specs for the computer, it lists it as "Airport Ready" and says it's "802.11b compatible."

Since the Airport Extreme card is an 802.11g card, are they compatible? I know that in the PC world they are, but I'm completely new to Macs and I'm just trying to make sure I bought the right card.
The only dumb questions are the questions that are not asked.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedespair View Post
(*sighs*) Oh well. I was a afraid of that. Does anyone know where I can find an original Airport card?

Oh, and thank you all for your help... It's exciting to finally be part of the Mac community!
ebayyyyyyy

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...l+airport+card
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodorsean View Post
The only dumb questions are the questions that are not asked.
"There are no stupid answers, just stupid people." -- Mr. Garrison
QUOTE Thanks
thedespair

ok... another quick question...

can i just get one of those 802.11g usb adapters?

wouldn't that work?
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

Hypothetically, yes. The only way to figure out is by trying it out--a lot of times these things are hit or miss, especially with old computers. Oh, and welcome to the Forums!

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to set default applications? | new g5 i mac »