New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Want to transfer copy of CD to new imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

I copied my WordPerfect and My Picture files on a CD (thankfully!) before my hp died. Just bought a new imac (yes, i'm a switcher) and I'd like to put those CD's on my mac to access my old files. Can this be done? Also, I'd like to copy and paste some of my files into iwork so I have them there...would I be able to do this? Could the "my picture" files be copied to iphoto? Next question I'll ask is "how" :confused:

Thanks a lot for answers...Carol
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

not sure if the word perfect docs will be in the correct format.

the images shuoldn't be any problem at all.

just pop the disk in your mac and view the files through finder, just like you would with explorer on a pc. you can then drag those files/folders anywhere you want on your mac (they'll only copy since you're doing this from a read-only media).

if you're using iphoto, it may even start on it's own to import the images. if it doesn't, you can just drag the pictures to your pictures folder and then import them to iphoto (again, if that's what you're using).
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

So if I took my hard drive with WP files on it could someone make a CD that I could put in my iwork files? And, does this mean if someone gave me a CD to share I couldn't play it on my imac?
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Your WordPerfect Text data can be saved with a windows computer. It just has to be turned into txt or something. You should get MS Office for Mac. iWork is great, but it's more for publishing documents, like letters and stationery. Your Photos: Just drag them from the CD into iPhoto's main photo are. It'll begin to import and save the files into your pictures folder.

On a mac, my tip is: Never touch the pictures or music folder's inner workings. iTunes and iPhoto organize these in seemingly complex ways, so I wouldn't go hunting for anything down there. It's dangerous and often ends up in a broken library in iPhoto or iTunes. Just manage your photos from within the App and you'll be fine.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
*Snip*
On a mac, my tip is: Never touch the pictures or music folder's inner workings. iTunes and iPhoto organize these in seemingly complex ways, so I wouldn't go hunting for anything down there. It's dangerous and often ends up in a broken library in iPhoto or iTunes. Just manage your photos from within the App and you'll be fine.
True, this. On forums you see plenty of posts about members in a panic saying their photos or their music has been deleted by mistake or that they can't find them anymore on their hard drive.

Me thinks OS X knows much better than I what it is doing so if it wants to install something in the Applications folder (or anywhere else for that matter), that's fine by me.

And don't mess with the root level. Don't install any personal files or programs there. That space belongs to the system. Even though you can move things there (the system won't stop you from doing it) it's best to install all your personal stuff in your user account and leave the other directories and structure as is.
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Thanks for the advice. I WON'T mess with anything at the root level (don't even know where it is!). But I know one can find those places without meaning to!! So far I've liked using the App file for organizing and I'm getting used to it. I've had my imac 3 weeks now so...still learning the basics. Appreciate the help.
Also, I already bought iwork so I'll have to use it for awhile. Didn't know if MS office was better or not so I bought the cheapest!
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

iPhoto keeps a folder in the "Pictures" Folder of your account. iTunes does the same with "Music". iMovie stores projects in "Movies", and so on. I usually never even go there...

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Switching Experience | When am I a switcher? »