New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

File deleting and security

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Did it for "one"...

How would I even know if it actually overwrote the freespace?
QUOTE Thanks
yugtun

yugtun is on a distinguished road

I think you said it ran for about an hour? It probably wrote to some of it if it didn't to all of it. Not sure why it won't go through the complete process.

I'm the one who started this thread with a question of how to wipe free space. I used to do it in windows with a program called PGP and there were others as well. It would just run and run and be writing to the free space until it was finished. I don't know exactly how OS X does it exactly and why your is acting like it is.

Maybe another forum someone would recognize your scenario. Or maybe you could start a new thread in another area of this forum and start over with the exact steps you do and what happens. Maybe someone reading in a different area will recognize it. :bone:
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Well it just seems to be a poorly designed routine.

I ran the script and it went through the process until it got to the part where it was creating a temporary file...then after a while the message came up about the startup disk running our of space and then it just hangs. I used the skip button which either cancelled the operation or reversed whatever had been done to that point -- I don't know which. It's a mystery and not something that hasn't happened to a lot of people. MacHeadCase researching this fairly well in the Mac Support forums and there doesn't seem to be an answer about what to do or how the thing should work.

Again, just a bad script/routine or whatever. It just doesn't work.

I guess at this point we'll never know. Clearly the routine doesn't work as advertised.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

probably like ms's defrag. will barely work at all if you have less that 15% free space, and works less and less well the less you have. might be less the fault of the os than the file system.
QUOTE Thanks
yugtun

yugtun is on a distinguished road

Worked pretty good for me. It's usually just one thing standing in the way. Do you have "Apple care?" Can you call tech support? Maybe they will recognize the scenario you're describing. Or again you could try another forum and get a whole new set of eyeballs out there that might recognize it.

Seems like a worthwhile function to me. Hope you can get it to work.

Good luck

:tusks:
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

Since I have Applecare I decided to call them.

They're clueless.

Had the call referred up to another level -- again "clueless"...

Somebody is suppose to call me back next week after the New Year's holiday. Right.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Handy lights I used to have | Mail question »