Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Did it for "one"...

How would I even know if it actually overwrote the freespace?

I think you said it ran for about an hour? It probably wrote to some of it if it didn't to all of it. Not sure why it won't go through the complete process.

I'm the one who started this thread with a question of how to wipe free space. I used to do it in windows with a program called PGP and there were others as well. It would just run and run and be writing to the free space until it was finished. I don't know exactly how OS X does it exactly and why your is acting like it is.

Maybe another forum someone would recognize your scenario. Or maybe you could start a new thread in another area of this forum and start over with the exact steps you do and what happens. Maybe someone reading in a different area will recognize it. :bone:

Well it just seems to be a poorly designed routine.

I ran the script and it went through the process until it got to the part where it was creating a temporary file...then after a while the message came up about the startup disk running our of space and then it just hangs. I used the skip button which either cancelled the operation or reversed whatever had been done to that point -- I don't know which. It's a mystery and not something that hasn't happened to a lot of people. MacHeadCase researching this fairly well in the Mac Support forums and there doesn't seem to be an answer about what to do or how the thing should work.

Again, just a bad script/routine or whatever. It just doesn't work.

I guess at this point we'll never know. Clearly the routine doesn't work as advertised.

probably like ms's defrag. will barely work at all if you have less that 15% free space, and works less and less well the less you have. might be less the fault of the os than the file system.

Worked pretty good for me. It's usually just one thing standing in the way. Do you have "Apple care?" Can you call tech support? Maybe they will recognize the scenario you're describing. Or again you could try another forum and get a whole new set of eyeballs out there that might recognize it.

Seems like a worthwhile function to me. Hope you can get it to work.

Good luck

:tusks:

Since I have Applecare I decided to call them.

They're clueless.

Had the call referred up to another level -- again "clueless"...

Somebody is suppose to call me back next week after the New Year's holiday. Right.

Thread Information