New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

File deleting and security

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
From what I read the "Erase Free Space" command creates a huge file that takes up all the empty disk space. It seems from posts I've read here that the file(s) should be in your trash. Someone from MacOSXHints recommended using OmniDiskSweeper if you can't spot the file(s) in your trash. And run Disk Utility starting from your CD or DVD that came with your Mac and run "Repair Disk".

I wouldn't use that "Erase Free Space" command at all, unless it was imperative to do so. I've read this happens all the time getting the message your disk is full and it brings hassles.
Yes this is exactly what happened. But I didn't see anything in the trash although I didn't open the trash either.

Problem is that the earse free space never finsihed...really I don't know what to do. The good news is the computer still works after I ran "skip".

I'd like to run this program once just because I've had this PB for 3 years and never realized that I could or should have been suing the secure empty trash for sensitive info.

I checked out that OmniDiskSweeper and ran it and got the image attached...not much to delete. What exactly is the "Previous Systems" for? Can I delete that? It's the only thing of any size other than my applications folder.

What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Picture-1.gif (30.3 KB, 11 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Crumbs! I'll let someone else with more knowledge jump in here, I sure don't know what's best to do now.

I know that previous systems would imply you once did a re-install using the Archive and Install method? If this is the case, I would think moving the Previous system folder to the trash is safe as you surely had the time to recuperate all the old personal files you needed.

Edited to add:

If you do drag the Previous system folder to the trash, just don't empty the trash just yet, let a couple of days go by and see if all is well and nothing is flaky upon booting up. If all is ok, then it is safe to empty that trash.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

what if you just tried running onyx and deleting all your cache files? perhaps that might work to delete "temp" files casue by the mishap.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Just found something that might be useful. A handy freebie for viewing file sizes, files that are hidden or not, is id-design's WhatSize.
BTW, CB did you try this?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

just trying what size myself now. that is a really nifty app. [rep added earlier is well deserved!]
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
what if you just tried running onyx and deleting all your cache files? perhaps that might work to delete "temp" files casue by the mishap.
There's an idea!!! :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
From what I read the "Erase Free Space" command creates a huge file that takes up all the empty disk space. It seems from posts I've read here that the file(s) should be in your trash. Someone from MacOSXHints recommended using OmniDiskSweeper if you can't spot the file(s) in your trash. And run Disk Utility starting from your CD or DVD that came with your Mac and run "Repair Disk".

I wouldn't use that "Erase Free Space" command at all, unless it was imperative to do so. I've read this happens all the time getting the message your disk is full and it brings hassles.
Quote:
BTW, CB did you try this?
It seems this would be similar to the Omni program. Not much help if the files are all small....I think I'll download Onyx and play with that.

BTW, Eric, I think I deserve some REP just to cheer me up.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

- check your profile...

hey, i'm at 199, who wants to push me over?
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

I have to spread more Rep around before giving more to you.
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

I ran the cleaning stuff in Onyx...didn't seem to do much. I'm gonna try that erase free space again and see what happens...cya in about an hour.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

Nope won't work. Did the exact same thing. ``...Erasing free space" for about an hour+ and then ``...creating temporty file"...finally the message ``...your startup disk is almost full". So I hit OK and it just hangs there. Then clicked "skip" to get out of disk utility...restarted and here I am.

So, what good is this feature if you apparently never have enough disk space to create the temp file? BTW there was nothing in the trash during this entire process. Not happy.

--------------->
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossBones View Post
It seems this would be similar to the Omni program. Not much help if the files are all small....I think I'll download Onyx and play with that.

BTW, Eric, I think I deserve some REP just to cheer me up.
Well that utility let's you see hidden files. I looked at the numbers of the OmniDiskSweeper screen capture and no way are you anywhere near the full hard drive or getting the whole number to fill your hard drive capacity of 80 GB (although in reality it is more around a usable space of about 74GB give or take a few MB) so me thinks there is a huge temp file somewhere that you cannot see because it is invisible. That little utility can list visible AND invisible files. Just let it run till all the file (or folder names) are in black, that means it has finished scanning.

Look at my screen capture below, the utility automatically shows you in red the over the 1GB mark with folders. If you see something that is huge, go and investigate what is in that folder. If you see a dot ( . ) before a file name, that is an invisible file)

If you see a hidden file that should be investigated, post back here. As soon as I'm around, I'll tell you how to navigate to that file, and if it is warranted, make it visible so you can drag it to the trash.
Attached Images
File Type: png WhatSize.png (63.5 KB, 4 views)
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

OK, I downloaded "WhatSize" and ran the program. Attached is the screen shot. It's very close to the one I got when I ran Omni-whatchamacallit...nothing seems obviously huge that should be deleted other than that Previous System.localized file which I am kind of reluctant to delete. Besides would that even free up enough disk space? No way of telling that I can see. I just don't understand why that "Erase Clear Space" routine doesn't work. I mean if the temp files it's trying to create are always that large what good is the darn thing?
I'm now mad at Apple and the world.

So isn't there any other way top completely remove trashed files so that they are not recoverable?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Picture-1.gif (26.5 KB, 4 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

CB, you did restart after the Erase free space thing, yes? A few places I've seen said that restarting cleared the temp file.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Handy lights I used to have | Mail question »