adammg
    Switcher Remorse
    I just bought a 17" iMac with the ATI card in it. Its been 3 days and I am kind of missing Windows (Not something I thought I'd ever say). Biggest things I miss are my Windows Live Messenger, I have the Mac version 6.0 but it doesn't have A/V capability. I also used my PC a lot to chat on Msn chat network, I know its closed but had moved to Buzzen & Phreik which runs off the same ocx as Msn did. Theres a few other things but nothing I can't live without. I have installed Parallels for the main two things listed and feel I've kind of defeated my purpose of going to Mac. Any other switchers felt this a way?

Anyone know of a good IRC client that has a appealing GUI? I can enter Buzzen & Phreik through there but so far none of them seem to have a good GUI just BLAH and BLAND.

Tried aMsn for a substitute for Messenger, It worked half the time with the webcam but still prefer Mac Messenger. Will work around it until the new version comes out.

On the positive side, I have enjoyed everything else about Mac. Heres a list of my favorite things. Dock owns Task Bar, Photobooth keeps me amused for long periods of time, stability of OS X, iMac has been running since I hooked it up the first night. Front row is just mesmerizing, Spell check on everything is just too funny I now know how illiterate I am.

I apologize for writing a book here but help me out yall, I need some positive re-enforcement and suggestions to break the Windows habit.

i had a little of that too a few month ago. i guess i wasn't really trying to switch, i was trying to switch a mac to fit me.

pretty much all of what i need to do from day to day i can now do easily with a combination of apple and third party software. have you tried adium for chat? i like it quite a bit, but not sure if it supports voice...
    also, as i understand it, mozilla's seamonkey acts as an irc client.

also, check these out, i think you'll find plenty of good reading here:

Switchers, what do you love most about your new Mac?

switchers - top 5 things you don't miss!

Feelings of Apple Disillusionment

A switcher's guide to OS X Software

Snak is the best irc client I've found and I've tried just about all of them.

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
    I am not familiar with windows live messenger, however since switching to MAC love the iChat application. Have you given that a try?
    http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before

Running Parallels isn't defeating the purpose of Mac OS, it's expanding it. With the new upcoming version of Parallels, you'll even be able to run Win apps on the desktop instead of keeping them trapped inside the virtual machine window. It will be almost flawlessly integrated. (keeping track of which apps require "apple+c" to cut versus which ones need "ctrl+v" to paste, and vice versa, is my only headache ).

The way I look at it, when I run WinXP on top of OS X it's more stable than what most people do ... which is run WinXP on top of DOS which is anything but stable.

I don't have a lot of "chat" experience so I can't do more than recommend you follow the advice of the other posters. Adium seems to be the class favorite.

Give it a few days, you'll begin feeling more comfortable with the way everything works and before you know it, you'll be a convert. Good luck!

Specs:
    2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
    I use this Irc client. Works well and is easy to set up.

http://jirc.hick.org/jirc/

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by adammg View Post
    Theres a few other things but nothing I can't live without. I have installed Parallels for the main two things listed and feel I've kind of defeated my purpose of going to Mac. Any other switchers felt this a way?

Actually yes, I was initially dissapointed I couldn't entirely get rid of Windows and I also installed Parallels. I needed to run MS Money (as Quicken for Mac is utter toilet) and also my home town football team in the UK shows highlights and stuff, but ONLY works with IE 6 or better. I know that's terrible, but I subscribe to their service and so needed to have Windows.

However, running both isn't really a problem and I only boot up Windows to do my finances and watch weekend football highlights.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The way I look at it, when I run WinXP on top of OS X it's more stable than what most people do ... which is run WinXP on top of DOS which is anything but stable.
    I hope you realize that WinXP has nothing to do with DOS. They did away with that at around the turn of the Millennium.

As for IRC chat, might I recommend X-Chat? I've used it before on Linux, and it seems to run the same on Mac. (Including my inexplicable inability to connect properly to IRC, no matter the client or OS)
    PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
    Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    and also my home town football team in the UK shows highlights and stuff, but ONLY works with IE 6 or better. I know that's terrible, but I subscribe to their service and so needed to have Windows.
    If you enable the Safari Debug Menu you can tell Safari to act as Windows IE 6 IIRC. At least you can avoid having to use that.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
    You should write to MSN, and Yahoo in their feedback pages. Tell them you want full messenger support in OSX.

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    If you enable the Safari Debug Menu you can tell Safari to act as Windows IE 6 IIRC. At least you can avoid having to use that.
    I might try that, but it's the combination of IE, WM10 and ActiveX... it really is a Microsoft crapfest.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

adammg
    Thanks for all yalls reponses, I'm going to keep trying stuff out. That Safari trick seems interesting, Not sure it'd solve my problem cause would still need Active X or be able to install a .exe file. I'mma keep Mac'in it. Yall will be seeing a lot of me in days to come.

Adam

MacHeadCase
    There are websites built with only Windows machines compatibility in mind out there. The only thing left to do is complain to the website owners that all the Mac and Linux users are being left out.

The way the Mac is gaining market share right now, they'll have to do something sooner or later anyway.

Specs:
    2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
    I use mostly Skype which now supports Video too. iChat I use maybe once or twice a week also a great app

Quote Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
    There are websites built with only Windows machines compatibility in mind out there. The only thing left to do is complain to the website owners that all the Mac and Linux users are being left out.

The way the Mac is gaining market share right now, they'll have to do something sooner or later anyway.
    This is soooo true and the sign of a very bad webmaster/coder. The good ones I know test their sites on every single machine and OS to be sure things are displaying properly and as planned. Of course CSS and Flash have made it easier but yes some just design/code on a PC and call it good.

Thread Information