New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Six Days until I am a Switcher.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DavisCollins

DavisCollins has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD

ok. about half the world knows i am getting a MacBook for Christmas this year. [seems like i have told every one of my friends at least three times] and i am just wondering what i should do when i first turn it on.

what are some things/software that will really impress my family [mainly because im trying to make them gave a great first impression with macs so they will switch]

is there anything that is a must download for sombody who mostly uses just, internet, photoshop elements, aim and myspace.

im open to any suggestions :]

:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Turn it on and marvel at it! It's sooooo pretty! Just stare at it like it's a tropical fish tank.

Enjoy!!!
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

oynx.
QUOTE Thanks
DavisCollins

that onyx sounds pretty neat. looks very easy to use.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

open itunes play a song and turn on the visualizer.. I realize PC's have this as well but in my opinion with a mac product it looks fifty times better.. that should impress them a bit.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
thefarky

thefarky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive

Awe them with Front Row and the included Apple Remote.
QUOTE Thanks
DavisCollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodorsean View Post
open itunes play a song and turn on the visualizer.. I realize PC's have this as well but in my opinion with a mac product it looks fifty times better.. that should impress them a bit.
yes i love the itunes virtualizer, but i wisht he apple would stay on the screen longer.

what exactly makes it better on a mac?
QUOTE Thanks
DavisCollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarky View Post
Awe them with Front Row and the included Apple Remote.
i LOVE front row. i wil probly show them that first. i love how the screen moves back. its absolutly beautiful.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you want to really impress them, install VirtueDesktops and turn on the touch sensitive option. Tap the desk or the side of the Macbook and watch them gaze in awe as the desktop flips (make sure you use the Cube option, it's the most mesmerizing). I combine this with running Windows full screen via Parallels on one of the desktops, makes them go nuts.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisCollins View Post
what i should do when i first turn it on.
Watch out when you create your account. The short name is rather long. Think of one you want to use for a long time or even one you commonly use else where.

Oh, when you startup a new Mac, it has this really neat welcome animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisCollins View Post
what are some things/software that will really impress my family
Go collect some Windows viruses and try executing them. Oh, what's that I hear from the peanut gallery; They won't execute. Exactly.

If you have a digital video camera, hook it up and start up iMovie. Import the tape and show how the places you stopped and started the tape at become individual scenes. Cut that into a short movie and export it to iDVD and make a DVD. This would be best shown off if your home DVD player can play homemade DVDs.

Are you into making music, try out Garage band.

Import your photos into iPhoto and then create a web page using iWeb and save it to a folder and then show that off.

Have you got a friend you can video iChat with. You'll need bandwidth, but I really like this one.

Once you've imported some tunes and Quicktime movies into iTunes and thown in a DVD, start up Front Row as others have mentioned by just clicking the remote. How cool is that!

If you already know your way around these OS X apps, you could do most of the above within an hour, except creating the DVD. All of the applications needed are built in. Now that is really cool!

Enjoy your new toy.
QUOTE Thanks
DavisCollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Watch out when you create your account. The short name is rather long. Think of one you want to use for a long time or even one you commonly use else where.

Oh, when you startup a new Mac, it has this really neat welcome animation.

Go collect some Windows viruses and try executing them. Oh, what's that I hear from the peanut gallery; They won't execute. Exactly.

If you have a digital video camera, hook it up and start up iMovie. Import the tape and show how the places you stopped and started the tape at become individual scenes. Cut that into a short movie and export it to iDVD and make a DVD. This would be best shown off if your home DVD player can play homemade DVDs.

Are you into making music, try out Garage band.

Import your photos into iPhoto and then create a web page using iWeb and save it to a folder and then show that off.

Have you got a friend you can video iChat with. You'll need bandwidth, but I really like this one.

Once you've imported some tunes and Quicktime movies into iTunes and thown in a DVD, start up Front Row as others have mentioned by just clicking the remote. How cool is that!

If you already know your way around these OS X apps, you could do most of the above within an hour, except creating the DVD. All of the applications needed are built in. Now that is really cool!

Enjoy your new toy.
wow thats a lot of good info.

and what exatly did you mean when you were talking about the short name? is daviscollins or dcollins better?
QUOTE Thanks
thefarky

thefarky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive

Also, Photobooth is endless fun!
QUOTE Thanks
cvx5832

cvx5832 is on a distinguished road

For quick oohs and ahhs, i'll have to agree with Front Row and Photo Booth.

If you have a mouse with the optional buttons, having expose and desktop a click away will also have the same effect you're looking for.

Merry Christmas! Merry present indeed.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Get some icons in the dock! It impressed my mum :-)
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

Turn the genie effect on for window minimising / maximising and set the doc to animate. I've got mine set up like that and I can drop jaws with a 60 second demo:

- Open up a few windows then minimise one
- Ctrl + F9 a couple of times to show off Expose
- Press F11 a couple of times to show the windows moving in and out
- Press F12 to bring up dash board
- Click the +
- Drag a widget onto the desktop
- Press F12 to close Dashboard
- Do Apple + Escape to bring up Front Row
- Play around in Front Row with your remote
- Do Apple + Escape to go back to the desktop

That's pretty much my minute demo of my Mac. It shows them next to nothing about the real advantages of OS X but I've had plenty of so-called Mac haters walking away thinking, I want one of those.

Further to that show them how quick it is to make your Mac goto sleep and then wake up again.

Also, if you have the 17" Macbook Pro go to the Apple website and fire up a few 1080p film trailers in Quicktime (you can't quite watch it at its native res and you need Pro to play in fullscreen). Watch their faces when they see the detail - it really is a sight to behold (then tell them their PC will need at least a 3.0Ghz dual core processor to play it back as well).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does Mac have any e-mail other than .mac? | Safari History »