New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Can you do this in Tiger??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

A couple things I miss from Windows which were nice and helpful:

Seeing pics as thumbnails or slides in Finder. It's nice to be able to scan through my photos without opening iPhoto or other program. I know Finder can show a thumbnail if you highlight it, but I'd like to just see them all.

Autohide the menu bar. Not many poeple use this in Windows either, but Iliked having a more clean look and a little more screen realestate.

Apl+tab through minimized programs. I noticed that this function only works for programs on the desktop. If you minimize it, you can't bring it up again without going down to the dock and clicking on it, which forces me to leave everything up for easy access which gets my desktop very cluttered.

Also, I'm trying to install WMP 9 to view videos online. When I download it and try to open for installation, VLC opens and won't let me install WMP. Why is that?? How can I uninstall VLC?
QUOTE Thanks
boneheadz

boneheadz will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post

Seeing pics as thumbnails or slides in Finder. It's nice to be able to scan through my photos without opening iPhoto or other program. I know Finder can show a thumbnail if you highlight it, but I'd like to just see them all.

Autohide the menu bar. Not many poeple use this in Windows either, but Iliked having a more clean look and a little more screen realestate.

Apl+tab through minimized programs. I noticed that this function only works for programs on the desktop. If you minimize it, you can't bring it up again without going down to the dock and clicking on it, which forces me to leave everything up for easy access which gets my desktop very cluttered.

Also, I'm trying to install WMP 9 to view videos online. When I download it and try to open for installation, VLC opens and won't let me install WMP. Why is that?? How can I uninstall VLC?

Chose view options in finder and select "show icon preview" I don't think this works in column view.

as for WMP 9, I didn't think that WMP was upgraded for mac.

bone
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Mac OS X does let you auto hide the dock, which I believe is what you are asking about. To do this, hold down all of Opt+Cmd+D. The dock slides out of view. When you want to see it again, move your mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen and the dock slides back into view. Move your mouse pointer away and it conveniently slides out of view again. If you want to return your dock to your desktop permanently, just hold down Opt+Cmd+d again.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Forget WMP, download Flip4Mac for your browser WMV viewing needs. It also adds the codec for Quictime to play most WMVs as well.

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

Quote:
Mac OS X does let you auto hide the dock
Actually, I already got the dock to hide. I want to hide the menu at the top so the screen has a cleaner look.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Actually, I already got the dock to hide. I want to hide the menu at the top so the screen has a cleaner look.
No, you cant. The Menu Bar at the top is not the equivalent of the MS task bar on windows (never has been) and is not intended to be hidden.

Well, actually that's not quite true. You could simply quit the finder and have an empty desktop until you switch an open App.

QUOTE Thanks
thefarky

thefarky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive

If you want to get the menu bar to hide I recommend downloading Menu Shade where you can have the menu bar fade away, control fading speed, and control brightness settings. Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Cool App. To bad it's not a System Pref instead. It will do what he wants though, I think. Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:

You need to enable Show icon previews in the Finders view options (Cmd+J) you have use icon view to see the results. You can also use the column view to view pics and video right in the finder. And lastly there is the slideshow option, control click (right click) after selecting the pics you want to view.

Try hiding apps not minimizing. Most times its Cmd+H. Then when using Cmd+Tab it will come back to life. Try Holding down the Cmd key while swtiching apps then hit the H, this lets you hide apps as you scroll through. Oh and try F10 and then the Tab key too.
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMac View Post
You need to enable Show icon previews in the Finders view options (Cmd+J) you have use icon view to see the results.
Thanks for that. I've been a mac user a loooong time and never knew that. REP!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Quote:
If you want to get the menu bar to hide I recommend downloading Menu Shade where you can have the menu bar fade away, control fading speed, and control brightness settings. Hope this helps.
Sounds like a great app, can't wait to try it. I didn't want menu to replace taskbar, Dock handles that quite well. Thanks for the commands, Ironmac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie Download Help Needed Please? | Does Mac have any e-mail other than .mac? »