New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook - New User

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thefarky

thefarky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive

Hi everyone!

I have just received a White MacBook: 2.0Ghz, 1GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive for Christmas and was wondering if there are any specific applications that would help me? I'm into web design, photography, and related stuff. Any help would be appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Try this link:
A switcher's guide to OS X Software

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to the forums and congrats on your new macbook! (almost the same as mine except you've got the core2duo)

a few things to check out:

unison - great newsreader/binary downloader if you need that sort of thing.

onyx - excellent maintenance tool, great for cache maintenance and tweaking preferences

delocalizer - will free up a couple gigs of space by removing extra language support if you don't need it (i recovered about 2.8Gb).
QUOTE Thanks
thefarky

Mac Specs: MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive

Thanks a lot for the quick replies! I will surely look into those. I hope to eventually become part of this community.

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

You already are :-) .

If you're into photography, try iPhoto, it's neat. If you're really INTO photography, try Aperture, it's even neater, but costs a bundle. Adobe Photoshop is common too.

For Webdesign, Smultron is a good tool for editing in code. iWeb does some pretty good quick webpages.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post

delocalizer - will free up a couple gigs of space by removing extra language support if you don't need it (i recovered about 2.8Gb).
That was awesome, thanks eric! 3130MB of space recovered for me.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

The greatest safety net for a Mac user if something goes wrong: Alsoft's DiskWarrior.

Other great apps to have: AppZapper, CharlesSoft's Pacifist, Cyberduck, The Omni Group's OmniDictionary, Shirt Pocket Software's SuperDuper! and URLwell.

That's my list. :girl:

Edited to add:

DOH!!! Forgot Preferential Treatment.
QUOTE Thanks
thefarky

Thanks yogi

I've heard iPhoto is pretty good, but what are its features compared to Photoshop? Is Smultron free? I've also heard about TextMate, but it's price tag is a tad steep.

Thanks also to MacHeadCase! I will be sure to add those applications to my growing list of things I need to be downloading ha. Thanks a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Not a problem, thefarky! Glad I could help. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Usenet Newsreader Conundrum | Network to PC to file transfer, HELP! »