New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Gspot for mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rmplstiltskn

Rmplstiltskn is on a distinguished road

For windows I had an app called gspot that analyzed video files and told me what video and audio codecs it required and whether I had them. Is there something like that for mac? I keep running accross video files I can't open and I would prefer to only install the codecs I need.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

VLC Player. It will open almost any video file.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Rmplstiltskn

Thanks.

What's the difference between MAC and Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmplstiltskn View Post
Thanks.

What's the difference between MAC and Mac?
MAC is an acronym for Media Access Control (as in MAC address). Mac is a contraction for Macintosh. Some people type MAC to mean a Macintosh... which is clearly wrong, because you don't type 'Hi, I have a MACintosh' do you?

I think his sig is referring to the fact that forums attract many people who either cannot type, or are illiterate, which is quite possibly a fair assessment.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Zoolook is very correct.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
waymon

waymon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95 View Post
VLC Player. It will open almost any video file.
VideoLan will play the file if that is all you need.

As for a program like Gspot that tells you what each file's compression or bitrate is for mac is unknown by me.
QUOTE Thanks
Rmplstiltskn

That's unfortunate. I had found gspot to be a useful tool.
QUOTE Thanks
Jcammon

Jcammon is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to open my video file in VLC, but I am only getting audio. Is it for video? the files are quicktime HDV 1080p24
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I'm pretty sure mac was different to Mac which was different to MAC.
We know:
MAC=Media Access Control
Mac= word short for Macintosh
but what was mac for? I remember soemone's sig said mac was a rubber rancoat or something if I remember correctly. Would anyone know anything about this?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Does this answer your question? Mackintosh | Define Mackintosh at Dictionary.com. It is sometimes abbreviated mac.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ultimate Newbie Thread | Using Parallels »