New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A couple of questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jayc28

Hi everybody. I've been a Windows user since the beginning of time. My brother and I are going to start a sports/pop culture podcast in January. A friend of mine has a Mac and I played around with Garageband and found it to be a great tool. I don't want to spend a lot of time learning an application. Basically, I want a toaster for putting these podcasts together and Garageband seems to be the way to go. In addition, since my brother is New Jersey and I am in Florida, we can utilize iChat, which allows both of us to be recorded on separate tracks.

The thing is, I don't have the disposable cash to purchase a new Mac, so when I purchase, I will probably go the Ebay route and buy a used one. I just have some questions about which way to go:

1. What kind of Mac is best for using iLife?

2. I see in quite a bit of the EBay auctions that while the OS is loaded on the Mac, it doesn't come with the discs. How would I obtain them if I needed to?

3. How difficult it is to upgrade Macs? (Probably affects question 1)

4. Many of the auctions also state that no keyboard or mouse is included. Can any USB keyboard and mouse be used or do I have to get Mac products?

5. Many of the auctions also do not come with monitors. Can PC monitors be used with Macs?

Thanks for your help!

Jay
QUOTE Thanks
jayc28

Ok, I have answered on my own questions 1 & 3.

But I still need some help on 2, 4 and 5.

Also, here is an Ebay auction. Is a deal like this good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-eMac-G4-17...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

You can use any keyboard and mouse. Mice are all basically the same, and if you get a Windows keyboard, the 'Windows' key is the same as the 'Option' key so that works too.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question regarding a network | FLAC support on OS X »