New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Memory Usage?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LoveSupreme

LoveSupreme is on a distinguished road

I know there are threads about this, but I did not see one that answered my questions. I have 1GB of RAM, and it seems at least half is always consumed. Right now, while running Firefox, 700MB are being used. I went to terminal and typed "top" to see what is using what, but the numbers don't seem to add up. I just bought this mac used (although it seems to have been restored to original) and will be using some memory hungry programs (creative suite and macromedia studio), so if I'm using 3/4 of available memory just to start up and run a web browser, will it be able to handle other things? If this topic was covered before, I apologize. By the way, I love my mac!!! Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Well, that's what the memory is there for, isn't it?

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
LoveSupreme

Ha ha. Well, I'm not going back to windows. As I said, I love the mac. Just wondering if this is normal or not and what is taking up all the memory. I don't know how to repair permissions or reset the PRAM. Can you tell me what that means? Not putting down mac, always been a fan, always hated windows. If it is normal for a mac to use that much memory with no apps running, then I can accept that, but if it's not, I'd like to fix it. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Fisrt of all, are you sure that other things aren't running? If you look at the dock and there are little arrows under a program, that means that it is stil running. It seems like all of the major browsers seem to be RAM hogs. if you are going to be doing something that is intense, make suer to completely close out Firefox or Safari and anything else that eats RAM.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
LoveSupreme

Yes, I'm sure. As soon as I startup, before running any additional apps, I go to terminal and type "top" to see what's going on. There are generally 450MB being used right from the start. I stopped startup processes that I don't use (mainly some remote server stuff). The only things in the dock that are running at that point (or at least have an arrow under them) are terminal, finder and dashboard. I downloaded a widget to stop dashboard (not that I even open it at that point). It just seems that the computer using half of available memory right from the start is a little excessive. Does anyone agree, or am I crazy?
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

I'm really glad to read htis post as I'm in exactly the same siutation - it just doesn't add up! I'm the same: a gig of RAM and hardly any applications running and I'm well over half memory. If I look at the processes they add up to a lot less than what it's saying it's using.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I have 656Mb free after startup, with 1Gig in the machine.

Seems normal to me - all the time OS X takes to start up it's putting stuff into memory. If you consider OS X is itself a huge application, it's not surprising a lot of memory gets used up.

It's nothing to worry about.
QUOTE Thanks
LoveSupreme

Thanks Alexis. That's all I wanted to hear. My mind is at ease.
QUOTE Thanks
LoveSupreme

Thanks Alexis. That's all I wanted to hear. My mind is at ease.
Although, DrQuincy has a point. Why don't all the processess show up when you check the mem usage? What else is using that memory and is there a way to find out? I have slight OCD. Sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

The system will handle other things fine. The thing about these modern operating systems is they them selfs need a great deal of space to run well. Which Mac do you have? If you can increase the memory, that is advisible for _best_ performance, if you require or want it.

Rather than using top, go to the Utilities folder and look alphabetically near the top of the list of programs. There is a GUI alternative that I can't for the life of me remember the name of. I think it starts with the letter A. I'm at work on a Win box right now. Anyway you can start that right after starting you system and keep an eye on the memory usage.

The system will swap out to disk, application memory that hasn't been accessed recently when it needs real memory for other purposes. This will cause a slower system, but is works well. This allows more appications to run with the the limit memory you have by sharing out the same space.
QUOTE Thanks
ARC

ARC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz 200gb macbook pro, 13" macbook

where do you go to check the terminal at?
QUOTE Thanks
LoveSupreme

Thanks for your responses. My mac is a 1.5ghz mini single-core 1gb ram. I'd love to increase the memory and plan to, but I would still like to solve this problem (if it is a problem).

To check terminal, I go to applications>utilities>terminal in the finder.

It just seems strange to me, if the computer didn't have the 512 upgrade to the memory, the machine would be maxed out at start up. I'm not running anything out of the ordinary.

I've been trying to find articles about how mac manages memory, but have found nothing to indicate such a high memory consumption from the start.

When I do the "top" comand in terminal, the running applications and processes don't add up to the total memory it says is being used. Where can I go to see what else is using the mem? If os is really taking up that much memory just to run, why doesn't it list it in terminal? Thanks again everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
Thanks for your responses. My mac is a 1.5ghz mini single-core 1gb ram.
lol, I'm having the same problems on a Core Duo Macbook Pro. Maybe it is just the nature of the operating system. I really should have gone up to 2 gig . . .
QUOTE Thanks
LoveSupreme

Yeah. 2GB would be nice. I can't really say that I'm having problems. Everything is smooth, except adobe stuff, but I'm assuming it's because its not fully compatible with intel. Other than that, it's pretty quick. I'd alway like it to be faster, though.
QUOTE Thanks
LoveSupreme

DrQuincy, I may have found out something that will help.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107918
Basically it says don't worry about it. Hope that helps you, it has helped me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I get some help? | Running updates »