New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switching doubts...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mtzlalo

mtzlalo is on a distinguished road

Hi, I really hope someone can help me out... I'm thinking of switching for good, but I still have some doubts, specially because I'm a DBA and I use tools like Oracle, and I'd like to know if I can run my work tools on a Mac.
The one I'm about to buy is the MBP 15.4'' with C2D 2.33 and 2GB in Ram.

Do you think switching will have an impact on my professional life? What do you think? I do love them, altough it'll be my first, I've been in love with them for about 6 years, and I'm really exited, but what keeps me from buing it right now is that I'd like to dump all my other computers, and use my Mac for everything and I'm not sure if I can do it.

Please someone HELP ME!!!

Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Unfortunately I can't say much about Oracle on mac, but google revealed to me:

http://www.oracleonmac.com/

Maybe it helps.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

I'm not familiar with the software, but worst case scenario, you can run boot camp and run the windows version of the Oracle software and Mac OS X for everything else.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I think it is foolish for anyone to "switch" for "good". There is no reason why a person can't use both operating systems side by side. The idea of "switching" is really sort of restrictive and confining. Just use what the job calls for... if that is Windows, then so be it. If its Mac, no problem. Just use the right tool for the job.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
joshtpa

joshtpa is on a distinguished road

D3,
I agree whole heartedly. I became a "switcher" and although I had some issues with Macbooks not working, I now LOVE my new macbook. But there are just too many programs not available, and so for that I have a desktop that is a Dell. Sure you can use bootcamp, but I dont want to bog this machine down.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I've been trying to get my employer to give me a Macbook for a year now. You should have no problems doing DBA stuff with an Intel Mac anymore even with all of the Oracle tools running on Windows. You can:

1. Dual boot Windows to run all the DBA GUI tools.
2. Run a Parallels (or VMWare) virtual machine to run the GUI tools (better.)
3. Run your databases on Terminal Server and Remote Desktop to these machines from your Mac right in MacOS X.
4. Use X11 anyway to run DBA GUI tools right on the UNIX server on which Oracle is installed to display back to your Macbook.
5. Run Oracle native MacOS X DBA GUI tools to manage your Oracle databases, if any exist (I don't know if they do since my Mac isn't portable and I don't take it to work nor does it have a compatible VPN client to work remote from my Mac with my employers' VPN network.)
6. Just run Terminal to a ssh session to the remote host (if UNIX) on which the database resides to run sqlplus to manage the database (old school.)
7. I forgot what seven was for.
8. Profit.

Since I don't have a Mac at my desk at work, I actually use a Linux machine to do all of those DBA type things for the heterogeneous mix of Oracle database running on various UNIX/Linux/VMS and other OSes. All of the tricks I've learned running a Linux desktop to manage Oracle databases pretty much transfer over in some fashion to a MacOS X work station.

Now if I can just convince them to buy me one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firewall settings | Can I get some help? »