New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Network to PC to file transfer, HELP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

So I'm following the instruction from Apple to connect my PC directly to my Mac, but having trouble. Everything on the PC is ok, then I run into this:

Quote:
Option 3: Direct Mac-to-PC Connection
If you donít have a router or wireless base station, you can simply connect your Mac and PC directly using any type of Ethernet network cable. Just plug one end of the cable to your Macís Ethernet port and the other end to your PCís Ethernet port.

Step 3: Open the shared folder on your Mac
Continuing the file transfer process, you have to access the Windows shared folder from your Mac. Hereís how:

On your Mac, go to the Finder.
Click on Network; this is called the Network Browser.

By clicking and/or double-clicking, navigate to the Windows computer, then double-click to open it.
You will probably have to enter the username and password you created when you set up Windows file sharing.
Voila! The shared volume for your Windows PC should appear on your desktop and in your Finder. You should be able to open the Windows volume just like you would open any folder or disk.
When I go to finder, I don't find anything close to what is mentioned above. I tried connecting the my PC network through "Go" in my default menu, but my Mac can't connect to the IP when I put it in. I did find a public folder on my Mac, but nothing was there either.

If anyone has done this or any idea of how else I can do it, I could appreciate the help!

If necessary, I could even connect using a USB cord if there's a way to do that.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
groggo

groggo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

log into the windows pc via the network as administrator then you will be able to see the shared drives

thats how i do it on my imac

:yinyang: Evolution win 3.1 / 95 -98-2000-xp now Tiger bye bill
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

I have my files set up for sharing so no problem there. I just can't get my Mac to see my PC volume no matter what I do. I've checked many tutorials and followed them to the letter.

Oh well, If I had spent my time just copying and moving files via DVD writing, I would probably be done right now, so I'm no going to waste any more time trying to get my Mac to "see" my PC.
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

your pc can see your mac. thats how it is on mine. i have do copy everything to the mac from the pc. i go to my network places > entire network > microsoft windows network > workgroup > and what ever your macs name is. something should pop up asking for the username and passwork. just put in the one form your mac including spaces if neccasary. then it might show some printers if they are connecter to you mac and your computer name. then pic were you want your file (i use the desktop) and drag the files from windows into that folder and wait for it to transfer and they should be in that folder on the mac
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

1) Goto Windows Command line tool (Start > Run, type cmd and hit enter).
2) Type ipconfig and hit enter.
3) This should display the ip address of your PC.
4) In your Mac goto Finder > Go > Connect to Server .....
5) Type smb://<ipaddress of the windows pc> and hit enter (eg. smb://192.168.1.2)
6) This should open a dialog screen where you can enter the pw to your Windows system(if required). You should also see the list of shared filed of your PC.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Quote:
1) Goto Windows Command line tool (Start > Run, type cmd and hit enter).
2) Type ipconfig and hit enter.
3) This should display the ip address of your PC.
4) In your Mac goto Finder > Go > Connect to Server .....
5) Type smb://<ipaddress of the windows pc> and hit enter (eg. smb://192.168.1.2)
6) This should open a dialog screen where you can enter the pw to your Windows system(if required). You should also see the list of shared filed of your PC.
I've already gotten all of this from the tutorials and done it, but still doesn't work. The OP was about going to Finder and Network Browser, but never saw anything called Network Browser in Finder.

The Mac just tries to connect to my PC for about 2 or 3 minutes, and ifnally says that it can't access because it isn't readable/writable, but I know that's not true because I've set everything in my PC correctly and that message is just a default for anything you type in and doesn't work.

I've connected my PC to other PCs via direct networking many times, so I know there's not a problem on my PC. Something must be wrong on the Mac side.
QUOTE Thanks
enri383

enri383 is on a distinguished road

same problem here, i can see my MAC from my PC, but cannot see the PC from the MAC.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

I couldn't see from either and it turned out that my PC enthernet wasn't connecting due to a loose plug on the MoBo. If you can at least see your mac from your pc, and transfering files from pc to mac, just start dropping files in and then locate them on the mac.

The wording from the tutorial was a little ambiguous, but I finally found the answer. At the main menus on your mac (at the top when Finder is the first menu) go to the "go" menu and then choose "connect to server" Then you have to type in your IP address from your PC.

You can right click on your network bridge on your pc and then go to "properties" to find the IP in there.

You could go to "run" on the start menu, enter "cmd" and then type "ipconfig" on the command line to get the IP, but if you're connected to the internet, I tihnk this information will be incorrect. It gave me a different IP when I was connected to the internet.

When in "connect to" on the mac, type in "smb://ipaddress" and hit connect. It shouldn't take long and you'll either be asked to choose a folder on the PC or for your password, I forget which is first. Once that's done, click Finder in the dock, choose "network" with the ball icon and in there you should find you PC folder.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more help.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Umm, isn't that exactly what novicew said?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New User | I've got a new mini! »