New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Looking for advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Texasmeat

Texasmeat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5

I have recently decided to switch over to Apple from Dell. I am dizzy with all the different setups you can get and would like to have a few questions to help me make my decision.
1. How are the Emacs? Why are they cheaper than the imac?
2. I use computers for light gaming like JK2 andweb browsing, how do the G3 imacs perform?
3. Can I use Panther with a G3?
4. Which models should be avoided due to just plain better equipment available.

Thanx alot in advance..
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

1. iMac is just pretty eMac. its display, that raises the price. and minor (0,25 MgHz) increase in speed. iMac uses DDR SDRAM. (double data rate)
2. you wont like it. its slow.
3. yes you can
4 G3 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
Texasmeat

Are you overall happy with your purchase of the Emac? I dont really give a crap about flat screens. Hell, I had a flat panel 17" Dell LCD that was blank most of the time cause windows xp is horrible..I just want something that performs well with good useability and a good overall package.
QUOTE Thanks
kjellquist

although I can see the appeal of flat screens one must really weigh the pros and cons....one thing to consider is the actual 'footprint' of the device(s) in question. sure the iMac appears to take up less space, but is that really usable space? probably not all of it....I have an iBook now, but if I was looking for a second Mac for the desktop or kids...I would seriously consider the eMac over the iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

ok. I will tell you about eMac.
what i normaly do on eMac is surfing the web and word procesing.
I also use photoshop, inDesign, illustrator and canvas for graphics design, also do some video editing and DVD authoring. forks fine for me. speed of the mashine is ok. one little ting I noticed about this mashine. the screen has some minor tremor when i play music loud. its common for eMac (wh have lots of them at work) i had to by external speakers.
i em quite happy with it. of course iMac is much pretyer and i would go for it if i had more money, but the performnce is basicly the same, unlike price.
the machine is fine for gaming as well. i paly quake3 and return to castle wolfenstain. its smooth an nice graphics.
if youre looking for optimal balance between prise and performance, go for it, but try to get maximum ram (not from apple, too expensive)
thats all i think
now youll have to deside
good luck
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmeat
I have recently decided to switch over to Apple from Dell. I am dizzy with all the different setups you can get and would like to have a few questions to help me make my decision.
1. How are the Emacs? Why are they cheaper than the imac?
2. I use computers for light gaming like JK2 andweb browsing, how do the G3 imacs perform?
4. Which models should be avoided due to just plain better equipment available.

Thanx alot in advance..
Comparing 1gHz machines...17" for eMac, 15" for iMac
1. Besides the monitor diff's, eMacs have lower-end video cards, slower system bus and RAM speeds, and the iMac gives you USB 2.0 ports.
2. G3 iMacs are probably best suited for Web use and Office-type uses.
4. Depends on how much money you can spend. If you have $1000, then definitely stay away from anything w/ a G3; but if you only have $300 that's a different story.
QUOTE Thanks
Texasmeat

Where is the best place to buy and emac or an imac? I have seen them from Apple for $1099. I have been lurking on Ebay but their prices seem to be at least $1000 with no warranty. Am I missing something?
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Yes. Luck.

Smalldog.com has a lot of em, not sure about the prices tho.
QUOTE Thanks
Texasmeat

A sincere thanks to all that replied. I have decided to buy a new emac and upgrade the ram when I have the cash. I am not a big computer guy but have swapped ram on a pc with little difficulty. Is the difficulty about the same??Also, where can I read up on the mac osx??I need to learn how to really use this thing. Thanx alot!!
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Right here is a great place to learn to use OS X. Also, macosxhints.com if you want to learn a bunch of awesome tricks. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmeat
I have decided to buy a new emac and upgrade the ram when I have the cash. I am not a big computer guy but have swapped ram on a pc with little difficulty. Is the difficulty about the same??
Actually, if anything it will be easier on your eMac, as they are designed to be extremely user-friendly. Just check out this Quicktime movie: http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/h...emory.mov.html
See how easy?

As for using OS X, you shouldn't have any problems getting used to it on your own, since it is again very user-friendly. To learn even more, you can make use of your eMac's "Help" section, and there are most likely many books available at your local book seller or online (I'll search B&N and Amazon later for you). Apple's support site is also a great resource.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I want to switch ~ need some guidance | my cdrws wont play »