What is the best way to clean the iMac?
    Hi. I think my 17" iMac is an absolutely beautiful toy. For the first time ever, I have gotten a very high speed DSL internet connection and this makes the entire experience even more fun. When I enjoy an imstrument this much I like to take care of it and I would like to get some tips about keeping the iMac clean.

Specifically, is it okay to wipe the iMac down while it is still on? What do you do to keep yours clean, what do you use. Can you describe your cleaning and detailing tips?

Specs:
    2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
    Quote Originally Posted by dead of night View Post
    Hi. I think my 17" iMac is an absolutely beautiful toy. For the first time ever, I have gotten a very high speed DSL internet connection and this makes the entire experience even more fun. When I enjoy an imstrument this much I like to take care of it and I would like to get some tips about keeping the iMac clean.

Specifically, is it okay to wipe the iMac down while it is still on? What do you do to keep yours clean, what do you use. Can you describe your cleaning and detailing tips?

Apple suggests you turn off the computer and disconntect any and all plugs to the computer.. I personaly do not do this but apple suggests it to CTA (cover their as*)

I use soap and water to clean my mac's. A very mild soap with no chemicals that may hurt the computer and a soft cloth.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007

Specs:
    Custom PC
    On any monitor, I use a damp, soft towel to wipe all the crud off, then a dry, soft towel to wipe off the remainder.

Also, glasses lense cleaning rags are very soft and are made for delicate areas such as glass.

Avoid anything with a high amount of chemicals, especially Windex.

I do beleive there are certain sprays that you can buy that are safe to use on your iMac, just give Google a quick search. I'm not sure if the same stuff people use on their glasses will be safe for a monitor, but you can check into that as well.

I use iClean, available from the Apple online store (in the UK anyway). It's expensive, but makes an immediate difference to my monitor, even when it doesn't look dirty.
    www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
    Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro

Thread Information