New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Windows HDD to Mac, will it read??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I bought Detto Move2Mac to transfer files and had nothing but trouble. The program didn't work right, so I reinstalled it only to find that the program is only good for a one-time transfer and I couldn't activate it again!! What a joke. Called support and they said there's nothing they could do and I cwould have to buy another license for $19.99 Yeah right!

I tried networking the two together, which I've done many times with others Windows computers, but I couldn't get the networking to go on the Mac side.

Since I have a secondary internal (slave) drive, could I just load the files I want into that, buy an enclosure and connect it to my Mac to transfer?? Or is there a formatting issue that would keep me.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

It depends on how the drive is formatted. OS X Tiger and Read and Write to FAT16 and FAT32, regardless. It can Read from NTFS, so long as there is no encryption on the drive and no security limitations on the accounts. Make sure all the files you want to copy are in shared folders just in case, not in 'my documents' etc.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

Pretty sure I formatted NTFS. I just formatted the entire disk and copied files and folers over that I want to transfer.

I suppose buying an enclosure won't be a loss either way since I plan to get one and a cheap internal HDD for backup/media storage.
QUOTE Thanks
a1laserboy

a1laserboy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM

I had trouble seeing windoze shared folders/drives until someone pointed this out to me:

Go to finder, go, connect to server. Put in smb://the.ip.of.the windoze machine and then you'll get to pick the shared resource.

I don't know why you have to connect, then put smb:// before the ip address, its something no-one would know - the only stupid bit about macs I've found so far.

good luck
QUOTE Thanks
a1laserboy

a1laserboy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM

i missed some stuff out. first you need to go to system prefs, sharing and switch on personal file sharing and windows sharing.

As simple and easy as the mac is mostly, networking is a bit different to the pc way.

oh, and switch on yer firewall - it's off as standard
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1laserboy View Post
I had trouble seeing windoze shared folders/drives until someone pointed this out to me:

Go to finder, go, connect to server. Put in smb://the.ip.of.the windoze machine and then you'll get to pick the shared resource.

I don't know why you have to connect, then put smb:// before the ip address, its something no-one would know - the only stupid bit about macs I've found so far.

good luck
No point in buying transfer software when you can just connect the two devices via ethernet. It's simply the fastest way to do it. Unless you really need an external hard drive, just save yourself the money and do what a1laserboy said.

This is assuming you know the IP address of your PC. If not, then go to Control Panel, Network Connections, Right click on Local Area Connection, select Status, and then click on the tab at the top that says Support and you'll have your IP address.

Sorry if you already know this, I just wanted to save you the trouble/time of asking in case you didn't :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

I don't want to buy anything, but I've tried everything else. Ethernet is by far fastest and free, but cannot get my Mac to connect to my PC no matter what I do. I've set up sharing and my PC as a home network, got the IP, went to my Mac, tried to connect by typing in SMB://"every different way people say" and get nothing. I've networked my PC to other PC's many times, so there must be something wrongo n the Mac side.

Since I bought my Mac, I haven't used the Ethernet at all before this, so maybe there's a hardware malfunction on the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Are you using a router at all? Or just a cross-over cable?

If you're using a router, you have to make sure both computers are in the same workgroup or else it could give you troubles trying to see the other computers (in my experience with XP/OS X sharing)

On your Mac, go to Applications > Utilities > Directory Access

Once that's open, the bottom option is SMB/CIFS, double click it to change the setting.. This is where you set your workgroup, by default on Windows, it's MSHOME. If you've changed the name of your workgroup, do that here and quit Directory Access

Also, make sure your Windows PC is in the same workgroup as well.

Right-click "My Computer" > Properties > Computer Name tab > click "Change.." and enter the same workgroup name (again default to MSHOME).

Once these are set, you can open up a Finder window, click Network on the left side panel, and it might take a few seconds to show up, but you should see your Windows PC.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

No router, just the 2 computers and cable.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Pretty sure I formatted NTFS. I just formatted the entire disk and copied files and folers over that I want to transfer.

I suppose buying an enclosure won't be a loss either way since I plan to get one and a cheap internal HDD for backup/media storage.

you formatted ntfs and were able to write to the drive from a mac?
afaik that shouldn't be possible.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you try everything punkr0x0r suggested? He is on the right track. Also be sure in the sharing tab in OSX Networking that both personal file sharing and Windows Sharing is checked. BE SURE both systems are in the same workgroup.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Yep, followed to the letter:

Set up network on PC
Transfered all files to shared folder
Got the IP address from CMD-IPconfig
Went to Mac sharing and checked everything to share on the Mac
Went to finder, Go, Connect to server
Typed in smb://IPaddress
and nothing came up

Even used bariations for IP like:
smb://IP/computername
smb://IP/workgroupname
smb://workgroupname/computername
smb://computername/workgroupname
and any other combination I could think of.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

I'm getting very worried my ethernet card on my Mac is DOA since I haven't tried using it for anything else yet.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Can you connect to the Internet via ethernet on your Mac? If so, it's working and doing its job.

Also, you don't have to put everything in the Shared folder on your PC. Just right-click your desired "shared" drive > Properties > Sharing Tab > make sure that it is selected to be allowed to share the drive, and also if you want to make it so other users can write as well as read from the drive.

I'd suggest getting a cheap router, it makes file sharing so much easier.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I'm getting very worried my ethernet card on my Mac is DOA since I haven't tried using it for anything else yet.

Is the Windows Firewall turned on on the XP machine? Have you been able to network any other systems with your PC in the past?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« just bought my first mac | New Switcher-- two questions: »