New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

contemplateing the switch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

grinder143

i am new to this and am thinking of switching to the mac . i dont really know if you can use it for my needs. no gameing , except cards and such, ripping cds that i own , makeing backup copies of dvds that i own for my children to use , so as not to ruin the original. photo editing, slideshows to music movies from tha camcorder internet. i believe all of this is possiable . except perhapes the ripping of dvd and copy to dvd for a backup. it is not the decideing factor as i have 3 other pc on a network. i am just tired of the endless maintance and freezeing, but then i am sure you know the problems . can all of this be accomplished on the mac os.thanks i really need the help since i know very little about macs.i also would need to know how much processing power if you would need duel core .memory , i guess how much is enough,rarely do we have more than a couple of programs or apps running
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Yes a lot of what you want is already built into OS X. Check out Roxio.com for other software you can use for Ripping/Burning DVDs such as Popcorn & Toast.

I must highly suggest though that you get out to an Apple store or authorized retailer and at least play around with a Mac first before you decide to take the plunge.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder143 View Post
i am new to this and am thinking of switching to the mac . i dont really know if you can use it for my needs. no gameing , except cards and such, ripping cds that i own , makeing backup copies of dvds that i own for my children to use , so as not to ruin the original. photo editing, slideshows to music movies from tha camcorder internet. i believe all of this is possiable . except perhapes the ripping of dvd and copy to dvd for a backup. it is not the decideing factor as i have 3 other pc on a network. i am just tired of the endless maintance and freezeing, but then i am sure you know the problems . can all of this be accomplished on the mac os.thanks i really need the help since i know very little about macs.i also would need to know how much processing power if you would need duel core .memory , i guess how much is enough,rarely do we have more than a couple of programs or apps running
The only thing i see that you have said that you may have issues with on mac are the games.. PC offers a huge variety of games. Mac does not.. everything else you talk about can be done with mac easier and faster with a mac.

"ripping cds that i own , makeing backup copies of dvds that i own for my children to use , so as not to ruin the original. photo editing, slideshows to music movies from tha camcorder internet. i believe all of this is possiable . except perhapes the ripping of dvd and copy to dvd for a backup."

all of that can be done with no issues.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodorsean View Post
The only thing i see that you have said that you may have issues with on mac are the games.. PC offers a huge variety of games. Mac does not.

Assuming you buy an Intel-powered Mac, you can run Boot Camp (which is free from Apple) for your PC games no problem. I'm running Neverwinter Nights 2 on my MBP and it looks great ... much better than it did on my HP 1.66GHz Core Duo which had 512Mb of video RAM on a NVIDIA mobile card.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
Assuming you buy an Intel-powered Mac, you can run Boot Camp (which is free from Apple) for your PC games no problem. I'm running Neverwinter Nights 2 on my MBP and it looks great ... much better than it did on my HP 1.66GHz Core Duo which had 512Mb of video RAM on a NVIDIA mobile card.
very true! But personaly you could not pay me enough money to boot windows on my mac. (if i had intel mac)

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is the best way to clean the iMac? | ADC Discount and Other Purchasing Questions »