New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

just bought my first mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ajm1977

ajm1977 is on a distinguished road

Hi all
just letting you know i have bought my first mac
its a refurb'd 20 inch imac core duo for AU$1600.
its great, just navigating my way through it.
some questions though......
what do the black arrows under the icons in the dock mean?
i noticed front row flickers at times when navigating through it. anyone else had this problem?
i downloaded messenger for mac but it has no voice feature. do i have to use another program?
is there a list of software around where i can find mac equivalent software for the windoze stuff i used to use??
thanks
andrew
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm1977 View Post
Hi all
just letting you know i have bought my first mac
its a refurb'd 20 inch imac core duo for AU$1600.
its great, just navigating my way through it.
some questions though......
what do the black arrows under the icons in the dock mean?
i noticed front row flickers at times when navigating through it. anyone else had this problem?
i downloaded messenger for mac but it has no voice feature. do i have to use another program?
is there a list of software around where i can find mac equivalent software for the windoze stuff i used to use??
thanks
andrew
welcome! good buy!

the black arrows under the icons in the dock mean the program is open.

I would use Ichat as a mac messenger.

if you go up to the menu bar on the far left you should see an apple. click on it and the third option down should be "mac osx software" there you can find mac software.

good luck!

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

black arrows mean that the app is active.
be aware, that once you start an app just clicking on the active windows red "x" will not exit the app, just close the window. to exit you need to do one of a few different things...

- go to the name of the app on the menu bar (on the top of the screen, and the app has to be the currently selected app) and select "quit xxxxxxxxx".
- context click on the apps icon in the doc and select "quit" (nice thing about this choice is that you do not have to have the app active or 'up front')
or
- command+Q when you're currently on the app to quit.

i use adium as a chat client (as close to or better than trillian for windows). not sure if it has voice though...

good luck with your new mac.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i use for my messenger.

1) aMSN (if i want webcam)
2)Msn for mac (for a quick fast chat)
3) Adium (now and then)
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

1. Black Arrows appear under Applications that are currently running. In OSX, an application can be running without any window being open. Some apps don't run without an open window, though, like iPhoto. It shuts down completely if you close the window. Others, like iTunes, keep running. To quit an application, click it's icon and go to the menu and quit, or press Command + Q (Command is the Apple button).

2. Messaging for Mac

For general use, I recommend Adium www.adiumx.com . It handles all common protocols like MSN, AIM, Yahoo and ICQ.

For Webcam chatting, use aMSN
http://www.cmq.qc.ca/4w/amsn/

For Voice chatting, you'll have to use Skype (requires Skype accounts between talking partners) or iChat (requires AIM or .mac accounts between talking partners).

3. If you just tell us what you're trying to replace, we'll be glad to show you our recommendations of Mac equivalents. As told above, there's always Apple's own list of software on apple.com .

cheers
yogi

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
brendan67

brendan67 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.26 4GBRAM iPhone6

:mac: welcome to the big club:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
ajm1977

ajm1977 is on a distinguished road

hi all
its been 2 days and still getting used to a few things. the one thing i miss the most is the ability to receive and send voice clips with msn messenger. why cant u do this on mac?
i just discovered i had a 256meg video card as well

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x71c5
Revision ID: 0x0000
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.063
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported

wasn't expecting that so it was a good surprise.
so far the machine hasn't missed a beat.
is piracy a big problem with mac software, stuff like final cut pro etc. just wondering, nothing sinister. i just have to sort out my program needs as i cross those bridges. like backing up dvds, ive heard mac the ripper is similar to dvd shrink. does this sound right?
with my 256 meg video, would i be able to handle FCP
thanks
Andrew
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm1977 View Post
i miss the most is the ability to receive and send voice clips with msn messenger. why cant u do this on mac?
is piracy a big problem with mac software, stuff like final cut pro etc.
with my 256 meg video, would i be able to handle FCP
I looked at the MS page for messenger and it does not mention voice. So that is Microsofts fault.

Piracy doesn't seem to be a big problem but it can occur. Just don't ask here where to get it as that is against the rules of this site.

FCP will run very well on that system. You have a lot of video memory and the way some of the low level graphics work, it enjoy that breathing space.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Welcome to the club . I'm a new swither too I use Skype for all my chat and Video chat needs works really well even talking to PC owners
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Download Live MSN | Windows HDD to Mac, will it read?? »