Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Dec 08, 2006
    Posts
    2
    Question Looking for opinions
    Hey guys,

    I am considering buying a MacBook Pro, but can't decide if it would be better to wait until Leopard comes out. This is my first mac... previously a pc guy. I'm thinking of using Boot Camp to dual boot Vista also. I have a few questions:

    1. Would there be any advantages as far as hardware goes to wait until Leopard comes out.

    2. If I purchased now, would I be able to get a discount on Leopard when it comes out?

    Thanks,
    Chris

  2. #2

    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    1. Would there be any advantages as far as hardware goes to wait until Leopard comes out.
    Its hard to say. Hardware is constantly being improved and updated. It is only natural to assume that by the time Leopard finally releases that a hardware update wouldn't be far off if it hasn't happened by then.

    2. If I purchased now, would I be able to get a discount on Leopard when it comes out?
    No.
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  3. #3

    mac57's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2006
    Location
    St. Somewhere
    Posts
    4,560
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Leopard is reputed to be coming out in January. At this point, I would be inclined to wait the month or so and see, unless you really want that new Mac now.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

  4. #4

    Kash's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 03, 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    9,385
    Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
    Leopard is reputed to be coming out in January. At this point, I would be inclined to wait the month or so and see, unless you really want that new Mac now.
    Are you sure? I was under the impression that it was coming out in the Spring.

    But if it's coming out in January, man, do I feel stupid for buying my Macbook a month before its release

  5. #5

    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    I was under the impression that it was coming out in the Spring.
    You are correct about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple's OS X Page
    Get ready, get set, get Leopard
    All these features and more are delivered to you in one universal, fully accessible, 64-bit operating system. Coming spring 2007.
    Apple's Leopard Page
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  6. #6

    MartinS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 02, 2006
    Location
    Bournville, UK
    Posts
    663
    MacWorld's only a few weeks away; wait to see what if anything is announced there. If Leopard's not launched and is still a few months away, buy your Mac in January.
    www.martinsketchley.co.uk

    2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
    Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Dec 08, 2006
    Posts
    2
    Thanks guys, I guess I'll wait a little while and see what happens.

    -Chris

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Nov 10, 2006
    Location
    Leeds, England
    Posts
    324
    Specs:
    17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
    I was in the same boat but I just couldn't wait. Compared to what I paid for the Macbook Pro the OS is peanuts so I'll upgrade whether it comes out sooner or later.

  9. #9

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    1. Would there be any advantages as far as hardware goes to wait until Leopard comes out. IMO, yes. I believe the 800mhz FSB C2D chipsets will be available either at launch or around that time.

    2. If I purchased now, would I be able to get a discount on Leopard when it comes out? Unlikely, unless you negotiate it ahead of time.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  10. #10

    fleurya's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 18, 2006
    Location
    Anytown, USA
    Posts
    4,932
    Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    If the new systems come out with A2DP Bluetooth, I'm going to be very disappointed.

    I asked the tech guy at the Apple store about it, and he said Apple has no plans to add the technology. I tend to believe him as it makes sense business-wise (take away from Ipod sales)

    Hopefully my university will have the super-cheap-practically-free student license version of Leopard.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. opinions on what to do
    By mjb94 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 03:23 PM
  2. I need some opinions as soon as possible
    By gta3005 in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 09:07 AM
  3. In need of some opinions
    By bduce_81 in forum Music, Audio, and Podcasting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 06:55 PM
  4. Opinions please
    By tangram in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 02:17 PM
  5. I could use your opinions, please
    By iNAP in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 12:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •