New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Still the same interenet.....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacIgnorant

(im about to buy a macbook)i know its still the same internet and all but what program is it run through and can you still download AIM? or does it work some other way?
QUOTE Thanks
DavisCollins

DavisCollins has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD

umm if i understand you correctly you are talking about an internet browser.
in that case. your macbook will ship with Safari, but if you dont like that you could download; Camino, The Shiira Project, Opera, or even Firefox.

and as for AIM, yes there is a Mac version. Also there is iChat, which is built into Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" Adium X is also a great alternative to both of those.

:mac:
davis
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

brianj08 will become famous soon enough

when i first got my macbook all set up the day i got it, the first thing i downloaded was AIM for MAC, but that crashed and i could only stay online for 2 or 3 minutes and it would crash everytime, now i use Adium X and it is by far the best instant messenger i have ever used. there are no ad's or annoying sidebars. its just your buddy list!
i highly recommend getting adium x and it is very customizable.

white Macbook 1.83 GHz Core Duo/ 2 GB ram/ 60 GB HDD/ Wireless bluetooth mouse/ JBL Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

Use iCHAT!!! its easy, and you dont have to download anything extra...plus you can have multiple windows of ichat open for multiple screen names. but if you want something for aim....dont get the aol verson. get a program called FIRE.
You can run AIM, YAHOO, ICQ, and MSN all at the same time on one list....kinda like trillian pro for Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

meagain is on a distinguished road

Am I missing something? Doesn't iChat only come with .Mac which is a monthly fee?
QUOTE Thanks
DavisCollins

DavisCollins has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post
Am I missing something? Doesn't iChat only come with .Mac which is a monthly fee?
Umm. Yeah. iChat is an app that is built into OS X. You can use it with .Mac or AIM. Go to Prefrences (Command+,) and add an account (Plus sign on the bottom left hand corner) and at the top, choose AIM Account, instead of .Mac

:mac:
davis
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i thought you could use aim accounts on iChat as well? maybe i'm wrong.
[edit] ok then, DavisCollins got it! [/edit]

thirding the support for adium! great program.

and if you were talking about web browsers, just try safari for a while, i think it's pretty good. i used firefox and opera on my own windows machine before i switched, and i see no appreciable difference between using safari or firefox..
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post
Nope. IChat supports both AIM and .Mac and Bonjour. If you are only going to run AIM, I would suggest trying ichat first. Adium is an excellent multi chat client though. Very good program.
QUOTE Thanks
meagain

meagain is on a distinguished road

What is the value of using iChat/AIM over MSN messenger, etc?
QUOTE Thanks
Sachsr1

Sachsr1 has a spectacular aura about

I was told you can't use MSN messenger on a mac. I think you can use skype if you want to chat with your PC friends still.
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

If you really want to use messenger it can be installed from the Office 2004 for Mac discs, as well as Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Entourage.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread...

You can use MSN messenger on a Mac.

iChat is a multi-chat client that comes pre-installed on all Macs.

It can chat via AIM, Jabber, Bonjour, and .Mac.

Adium can do a lot more, but you must download it.

It is not necessary to download AOL's version of Instant Messenger. Just use iChat.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I heard iChat unexpectedly closes AIM all the time, but so far I haven't had a problem. Anyone else had a problem like that??

Do you really think the Internets (G. W. Bush) are all the same?!?

It won't be if AT&Y and Bellouth merge and grant bandwitdh favor to websites they prefer.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

www.Adiumx.com

You can use it to chat via

- MSN
- Yahoo
- AIM
- Google Talk
- Jabber
and I'm definitely missing one or two here... So that said, you can use all common protocols on a mac. When it comes to video conferencing though, it's a different story: Only iChat can do that without problems*.

* by "problems" I refer to complex and non-intuitive procedures which are to tedious to go into unless utterly necessary. Google for more on using your iSight with MSN.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recent Switcher: Slideshow Help | PC's easier to change browser font size?? »